Founded in 1999 and based in San Mateo, California, SurveyMonkey is the world’s leading platform for turning people’s voices and opinions into actionable data — People Powered Data. Whether it’s with customers, employees, or a target market, SurveyMonkey helps curious individuals and companies — including 99% of the Fortune 500 — have conversations at scale with the people who matter most. It’s People Powered Data that allows them to understand not only “what” is happening, but “why.” SurveyMonkey’s 700+ employees throughout North America, Europe, and Asia Pacific are dedicated to powering the curious.
We seek team members who share our interest in working on engaging legal issues and applying a pragmatic, creative, and thoughtful approach to provide timely and usable legal advice to our business teams. As an internet business, we often operate on the leading edge of the legal sphere, where the law struggles to keep up with technology and the rules get fuzzy. This makes our work very interesting. So if this is something you’d be passionate about and you want to work in a hands-on start-up environment with terrific people, we’d love to have you on board.
SurveyMonkey’s legal team is looking for a Senior Counsel to support our HR team, manage the company’s litigation, and oversee internal investigations. You will be part of a collaborative legal team and engaged in drafting, reviewing and negotiating a wide variety of employment related agreements, policies, training materials, and communications, overseeing dispute resolution, and conducting internal investigations. You will apply sound legal and business judgment to provide strategic and pragmatic advice to the business. We do not expect anyone to have all the answers, but you should have the ability to figure out how to find them and the motivation to do so, whether independently or collaboratively, as the situation requires. As a company built on collecting feedback to drive improvement, you will seek out, and be open to receiving, constructive feedback from colleagues to continuously grow and expand your knowledge and skill sets.
- Work closely with the HR teams from all of our office locations to provide advice on performance management, dispute resolution, leave and disability accommodations, incentive compensation plans, benefits, reporting compliance, employee training, FLSA classifications, and immigration
- Lead investigations of potential misconduct by Company employees or affiliates and manage external counsel, as needed. You will be responsible for developing investigation plans, interviewing witnesses, assessing and documenting findings, and recommending corrective actions to business partners
- Be the internal lead for employment, corporate, commercial, and other forms of litigation and dispute resolution. You will be responsible for developing and assessing case strategies, conducting and managing interviews of fact and expert witnesses, handling discovery requests, reviewing court filings, responding to government inquiries, and managing external counsel
- Support the creation and continuous improvement of standard form agreements and legal operations
- JD from an accredited law school
- 6+ years’ experience (including at least 3+ years’ in-house experience) in employment (international employment experience in Canada and Ireland is a plus) and litigation
- In-depth experience with responding to information requests from regulators and government bodies
- Some familiarity with privacy issues (both domestic and international) related to employment contracts
- General tech-savviness
- Razor sharp organizational skills and capable of managing multiple projects under pressure and meet deadlines
- Self-starter, adaptable, and willing to perform some routine tasks
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills, with amazing attention to detail
- California bar membership
At SurveyMonkey, we offer competitive salaries, medical/dental benefits, PTO, 401k, paid holidays and parental leave, and equity compensation.
SurveyMonkey is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.