Who we are and what we do
Momentive (formerly SurveyMonkey) is a leader in agile experience management, delivering powerful, purpose-built solutions that bring together the best parts of humanity and technology to redefine AI. Momentive products, including GetFeedback, SurveyMonkey, and its brand and market insights solutions, empower decision-makers at 345,000 organizations worldwide to shape exceptional experiences. More than 20 million active users rely on Momentive to fuel market insights, brand insights, employee experience, customer experience, and product experience. Ultimately, the company’s vision is to raise the bar for human experiences by amplifying individual voices. Learn more at momentive.ai.
More about our Cloud Engineering Team
The Cloud Engineering Team guides Momentive through its transformation to the Cloud. We allow the business and our fellow team members to be successful in the Cloud. Building and Orchestrating resources in a globally distributed ecosystem is at our core. While ensuring Compliance and Programmatic tooling for all who work with Cloud resources. We continue to grow the foundation for others to build upon.
What are we looking for
Momentive operates one of the largest commercial Python micro service implementations on the web. As an Senior Systems Engineer you'll guide teams with best practices when applying Infrastructure Platform services (eg. bussing, caching, queueing, service discovery) in production. You'll foster the lifecycle of these services while scaling and optimizing the availability, and performance of the infrastructure. You will report to the Senior Engineering Manager of the Cloud Engineering team.
- Develop robust and scalable solutions for several problems, including: caching, messaging, queuing, and service discovery
- Monitor and support systems running in production - the backbone of our Infrastructure Platform
- Provide guidance to other engineers on how they can best use our services
- Work with engineering teams to ensure we're always using the right tools for the job, and to build new tools where the current ones won't cut it
- Keep an eye on the new tools, trends and methodologies, and enhance our existing services
- Mentor and help develop the careers and interests of team members
- Take part in a shared on-call rotation
- 8+ years of relevant professional experience
- Experience with AWS technologies and ecosystem
- Competent in shell scripting and high-level programming languages (we're big fans of Python)
- Practical knowledge and appreciation of multiple aspects of distributed service design, Cloud Fundamentals and autonomous software design practices.
- Practical knowledge and appreciation of multiple aspects of distributed service design, including messaging protocols, caching strategies and autonomous software design practices
- Understanding of Linux internals (we favor Ubuntu)
- Experience with a variety of modern distributed software tools, e.g. service discovery, containerization, messaging
- Experience running the following types of systems in production: caching, messaging/queuing, service discovery
- Experience using Configuration Management tooling such as Ansible, and strategies for maintaining large infrastructure-as-code deployments such as Terraform
- Empathize with data-driven decisions, and automating anything and everything
Nice to Haves
- An understanding of network protocols and common services
- Experience of Git and JIRA
- Docker, Splunk, considered pluses
What we offer our employees
Momentive is a place where the curious come to grow and shape what’s next. By embedding inclusion into our processes, policies, and culture for our 1,400+ employees across North America, Europe, and APAC, we’re building a workplace where people of every background can excel. We’ve won multiple awards and received recognition for our forward-looking policies, including extended parental and bereavement leave, vendor benefits standards, and Take 4 sabbaticals.
Momentive is featured as a Glassdoor 2021 Best Place to Work and National Capital Region's Top Employer in Canada (2021). In 2020, Momentive was recognized as a top place to work by Glassdoor Best Places to Work, Fortune Best Places to Work in the Bay Area, Parity.org’s Best Companies for Women to Advance, and National Capital Region’s Top Employers in Canada. Momentive has consistently been recognized by Great Place to Work® and Fortune as a top workplace since 2018, and we have also won numerous awards as a leader in global survey software, including being named among the G2 Best Software Companies, CNBC's Disruptor 50, and the Forbes Cloud 100.
Our commitment to an inclusive workplace
Momentive is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We celebrate the unique differences of our employees because that is what drives curiosity, innovation, and the success of our business. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information, political affiliation, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities.
Learn more about our diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts here.