Who we are and what we do
Momentive (formerly SurveyMonkey) is a leader in agile experience management, delivering powerful, purpose-built solutions that bring together the best parts of humanity and technology to redefine AI. Momentive products, including GetFeedback, SurveyMonkey, and its brand and market insights solutions, empower decision-makers at 345,000 organizations worldwide to shape exceptional experiences. More than 20 million active users rely on Momentive to fuel market insights, brand insights, employee experience, customer experience, and product experience. Ultimately, the company’s vision is to raise the bar for human experiences by amplifying individual voices. Learn more at momentive.ai.
More about our Survey Platform team
The Survey Platform team provides back end services for managing entities associated with survey creation and survey distribution. Our team is responsible for building and maintaining various micro services for survey creation and distribution. You will help architect and develop reliable, performant and fault tolerant APIs. You will report to the Survey Platform Team Engineering Manager.
What we're looking for
We are looking for an experienced backend Senior Software Engineer for our core survey platform who has a passion for solving complex and interesting problems. Momentive has evolved beyond our original core survey offering to include a host of other products, e.g. Enterprise, Market Research and Developer API for third party integrations. Our platform must grow to encompass all of the products in our portfolio to ensure a seamless and consistent experience for our customers. We welcome your new ideas and fresh perspectives which can help grow our team, and our solutions both internally and with our customers. Your contributions will be important in delivering versatile functionality to support our next phase of building out the survey platform. You will report to the Manager of the Survey Platform team which serves our core Surveys Product.
- Develop and maintain high traffic services across multiple data centers
- Work with product owners and frontend team on features that impact backend services and frameworks
- Develop new features, including creating technical specs, writing testable code, and keeping tabs on post-release metrics
- Design fault tolerant systems that can scale, and allow us to move quickly without affecting customer access
- Build observable systems that track important metrics and automatically notifies when something is off
- Investigate and address issues with performance, scalability, and maintainability
- Focus on code quality and writing reliable tests, to detect problems early. Participate in code reviews.
- Mentor engineers on best practices
- Prioritize learning and identify opportunities to adopt new technologies
- Have 8+ years of experience in web application development, with a focus on backend development. Our main back-end language is Python.
- Experience with an object-oriented programming language such as Python or Java
- Experience with relational databases, writing efficient SQL queries and designing schemas for relational databases.
- Experience designing backend REST APIs
- Experience working in an Agile environment with frequent deployments
- Experience conducting code reviews, writing tech specs and mentoring others
- Experience with systems and application design, including considering trade-offs of different designs
- Bachelor's in Computer Science or a related degree, or equivalent
Nice to have
- Experience with micro services architecture
- Experience building scalable and reliable platforms
- Experience with multi-region data center architecture
- Experience with technologies such as Memcached, Kafka and Solr
What we offer our employees
Momentive is a place where the curious come to grow and shape what’s next. By embedding inclusion into our processes, policies, and culture for our 1,400+ employees across North America, Europe, and APAC, we’re building a workplace where people of every background can excel. We’ve won multiple awards and received recognition for our forward-looking policies, including extended parental and bereavement leave, vendor benefits standards, and Take 4 sabbaticals.
Momentive is featured as a Glassdoor 2021 Best Place to Work and National Capital Region's Top Employer in Canada (2021). In 2020, Momentive was recognized as a top place to work by Glassdoor Best Places to Work, Fortune Best Places to Work in the Bay Area, Parity.org’s Best Companies for Women to Advance, and National Capital Region’s Top Employers in Canada. Momentive has consistently been recognized by Great Place to Work® and Fortune as a top workplace since 2018, and we have also won numerous awards as a leader in global survey software, including being named among the G2 Best Software Companies, CNBC's Disruptor 50, and the Forbes Cloud 100.
Our commitment to an inclusive workplace
Momentive is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We celebrate the unique differences of our employees because that is what drives curiosity, innovation, and the success of our business. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information, political affiliation, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities.
Learn more about our diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts here.