SurveyMonkey (NASDAQ: SVMK) is a leading global survey software company on a mission to power the curious. The company’s People Powered Data platform empowers over 17 million active users to measure and understand feedback from employees, customers, website and app users, and the market. SurveyMonkey’s products, enterprise solutions and integrations enable 335,000+ organizations to solve daily challenges, from delivering better customer experiences to increasing employee retention. With SurveyMonkey, organizations around the world can transform feedback into business intelligence that drives growth and innovation.
SurveyMonkey is a place where the curious come to grow. By embedding inclusion into our processes, policies, and culture, we are building a workplace for our 1,000+ employees across North America, Europe, and APAC where people of every background can thrive. We’ve won multiple awards and received recognition for our forward-looking policies, including extended parental and bereavement leave, vendor benefits standards, and Take 4 sabbaticals.
Over the past two years we’ve become a public company and expanded our platform with enterprise-grade features in privacy, security and compliance, putting SurveyMonkey on the path to rapidly expand our presence within the Fortune 500. We have ambitious goals to grow our international footprint as well, and every member of our troop plays a critical role in driving this growth and transformation. It’s an incredible time to join the company and be a part of our next chapter!
The Machine Learning Engineering (MLE) team’s charter is to build out a machine learning platform that accelerates the efficient adoption of machine learning across all SurveyMonkey portfolio products. Our goal is to build applications and tools that enable the scalability of ML along all points of the lifecycle of an AI project, from feature discovery to model training, from model deployment to post-production monitoring and evaluation.
A SurveyMonkey ML Engineer focuses on 3 specific areas of our ML platform:
- Data is the foundation of all ML projects. The MLE team builds tools to resolve all pain points that are specific to working with multi-dimensional datasets in a production environment
- The MLE team supports services that serve ML models. The team focuses on extending and maintaining architecture that supports integration with other SurveyMonkey microservices
- Automated Management
- As the number of models and use cases increase, the MLE team aims to automate workflows like model retraining, model monitoring and evaluation
We need your help as we continue to evolve our next generation machine learning platform here at SurveyMonkey. We help our customers make great decisions based on the tools we create on top of the millions of survey responses we receive daily. To do that well, we use applied machine learning techniques that include natural language processing, classification, spam detection, personalization / ranking, etc. We do this at significant scale and generally in real-time.
Successful candidates will have extensive application and data engineering experience. The ideal candidate will also have some experience with building production ML platforms in the cloud. Specifically, we need someone that is ready to get their hands dirty with building out a flexible machine learning platform that supports scalable model training in-memory or through distributed computational processing (single vs. multi-node), model deployment, API management, and constructing elegant feedback loops for self-sustaining machine learning systems. Candidates will need to be well-versed in large-scale data storage and processing and have the judgement to know when to use out-of-the-box solutions versus building custom ones. Being fun to work with is definitely a plus!.
- At least 7+ years professional software engineering experience using a high level language (Python preferred).
- Experience utilizing big data and machine learning technologies (e.g. H2O, Spark, Hadoop, Cassandra).
- Very comfortable with Unix/Linux operating systems. We favor Ubuntu.
- Strong communication and documentation skills.
- Experience with operating computational clusters for training machine learning models.
- Familiarity with the ipython notebook, pandas, sklearn, numpy and nltk.
- Experience with ETL pipelines.
- Experience with workflow management platforms like Airflow.
- An interest in data science, and in general, data modeling of lots of structured and unstructured data.
Nice to Have:
- Familiarity with machine learning techniques and natural language processing (e.g. featurization, n-gram analysis, supervised classification and unsupervised topic clustering, etc)
- Experience with building out cloud infrastructure or using AWS services (e.g. Sagemaker, Infra tools, etc)
At SurveyMonkey, we offer competitive salaries, medical/dental benefits, PTO, 401k, paid holidays and parental leave, and equity compensation.
SurveyMonkey is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.