Founded in 1999 SurveyMonkey is the world’s leading platform for turning people’s voices and opinions into actionable data — People Powered Data. Our European headquarters are based in Dublin, Ireland and we also have offices in several other parts of Europe to include in Amsterdam. SurveyMonkey helps curious individuals and companies — including 98% of the Fortune 500 — have conversations at scale with the people who matter most. It’s People Powered Data that allows them to understand not only “what” is happening, but “why.” SurveyMonkey’s 1300+ employees throughout North America, Europe, and Asia Pacific are dedicated to powering the curious.
We are an agile and diverse legal team, dedicated to developing highly-talented, passionate people who share our interest in working on engaging legal issues and applying a pragmatic, creative, and thoughtful approach to provide timely and usable legal guidance to our business team. As data platform business, we often operate on the leading edge of the legal sphere, where the law struggles to keep up with technology and the rules get fuzzy. This makes our work very interesting. So if this sounds like something you’d be passionate about and you have a burning desire to work in a friendly, hands-on environment with terrific people, we’d love to have you on board.
We are looking for a Privacy and Product Counsel to support our global product, sales and marketing teams in developing and shipping our products and while also maturing the collaborations between our privacy and product teams through DPIAs. You will be part of a collaborative legal team and engaged in advising on a wide variety of product, policy and business issues and with aiding the business to navigate GDPR and e-Privacy compliance matters as they relate to those areas. You will apply sound legal and business judgment to provide strategic and pragmatic advice to the business.
This role is a full-time position and is based in our Dublin or Amsterdam office.
- Advise cross-functional teams globally on privacy issues and risks and internal policies and procedures from the initial stages of product development and beyond launch.
- Regularly partner with product and engineering teams as well as product counsel colleagues to conduct DPIAs where necessary.
- Work with the Data Protection Manager, the DPO, Head of Privacy and Data Protection Governance teams to build out and mature data protection practices and procedures.
- Draft clear and concise in-product notices, disclaimers, privacy notices, and other public facing documents for our customers.
- Ensure compliance with European laws and regulations relating to privacy, ePrivacy, security, consumer protection, and regulatory compliance.
- Review marketing initiatives and campaigns spanning various advertising platforms, including print media, email marketing, and digital, social media, and behavioral advertising.
- Design, build, and improve training programs and legal department processes with a focus on scaling.
- Build strong relationships with and support other members of the legal team as needed.
- 6+ years’ relevant experience (including at least 3+ years’ in-house experience) primarily advising technology companies; relevant technical background or high level of comfort with technology preferred.
- In-depth experience with product counseling especially in the areas of data protection (GDPR)) and security and under other regulatory frameworks (e.g.,consumer protection laws, etc.).
- Working knowledge of ePrivacy, advertising laws and regulations.
- Exceptional organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple projects and competing priorities under deadline pressure.
- Highly motivated self-starter with demonstrated growth mindset and passion for learning.
- Track record of collaborating and building strong client relationships in a cross-functional team environment.
- Ability to break down and explain complex legal concepts to internal clients in a practical, understandable way that balances legal risks and business objectives.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills with an eye for detail.
- Flexibility, initiative, and willingness to perform some routine tasks.
- Qualified to practice law in Ireland or the Netherlands (or equivalent qualifications in another European country)
At SurveyMonkey, we offer competitive salaries, medical/dental benefits, PTO, paid holidays and parental leave, and equity compensation.
SurveyMonkey is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.