Founded in 1999 and based in San Mateo, California, SurveyMonkey is the world’s leading platform for turning people’s voices and opinions into actionable data — People Powered Data. Whether it’s with customers, employees, or a target market, SurveyMonkey helps curious individuals and companies — including 99% of the Fortune 500 — have conversations at scale with the people who matter most. It’s People Powered Data that allows them to understand not only “what” is happening, but “why.” SurveyMonkey’s 700+ employees throughout North America, Europe, and Asia Pacific are dedicated to powering the curious.
We’re rearchitecting our e-commerce and payments platform. Why? As a company that is growing rapidly, we realize in order to move faster, we need to rethink our old approaches:
- SurveyMonkey is a global company. This means you will be designing a system that will be used in over 200 countries.
- We’re also going places with our code literally. Interested in cloud computing? Interesting in how to store data effectively? We have the problems you can help us solve.
- Our e-commerce platform handles 35+ different currencies. We’re always looking to integrate with new payment service providers to optimize our growth and business.
- We need to manage scale and reliability. With customers all around the world, our services have to be up and running all the time. The system you will be working on supports the entire self serve purchasing flow of all of SurveyMonkey suite of products.
- We’re a company that loves to make decisions with data. We’re a people powered data company for a reason. We want to build a payments platform that can support A/B testing.
- Architect the e-commerce and payments platform with consistent and coherent service APIs.
- Build systems that handle customers' sensitive data with regards to the highest standards for security and compliance.
- Build a platform that can be consumed by third party consumers for accepting payments securely.
- Design, build, and maintain high traffic, multi-region services.
- Top-to-bottom ownership of new features, including crafting technical specs, writing readable and extensible code, and keeping tabs on post-release metrics.
- Design fault tolerant systems that can scale, and allow us to move quickly without impacting customer access.
- Build observable systems that track important metrics and automatically notifies when something is off.
- Mentor and guide engineers on best practices.
- Investigate and address issues with performance, scalability, and maintainability.
- Foster the spirit of continuous improvement and learning amongst fellow engineers.
- 12 years of professional programming experience.
- A minimum of 6 years in backend programming experience in a professional high scalability environment.
- Culture of code reviews, writing technical specs, and collaborating closely with other people (not a solo hacker)
- Experience in the ecommerce or payments/billing space.
- Able to write efficient SQL queries and design schemas for relational databases
- Bachelors or Masters in Computer Science or a related field
- Experience building high-traffic systems
- Ability to work in agile environments with frequent deployments
- Practices automated testing, believes and enforces good code quality and best engineering practices.
Technologies we use
- Python, Java, Node.js
- SQL Server, MySQL, Redis, Kafka, Elasticsearch
At SurveyMonkey, we offer competitive salaries, medical/dental benefits, PTO, 401k, paid holidays, and equity compensation.
SurveyMonkey is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.