Founded in 1999 and based in San Mateo, California, SurveyMonkey is the world’s leading platform for turning people’s voices and opinions into actionable data — People Powered Data. Whether it’s with customers, employees, or a target market, SurveyMonkey helps curious individuals and companies — including 99% of the Fortune 500 — have conversations at scale with the people who matter most. It’s People Powered Data that allows them to understand not only “what” is happening, but “why.” SurveyMonkey’s 700+ employees throughout North America, Europe, and Asia Pacific are dedicated to powering the curious.
We are looking for an experienced and inspiring leader to run our Database Engineering team. You will be responsible for all our datastores - partnering with the technical leadership team to define and deliver the evolution of our next generation data stores.
This leader will be a critical component of continuing to build out our engineering team. A key area of focus will be to recruit and empower a high performing team of technical talent along with an ability to coach, develop and mentor across a distributed team. In addition, this role will partner closely with a cross-functional team of senior engineering leaders.
- Build and maintain globally distributed data services, ensuring high standards for uptime and system performance.
- Drive data architecture discussions and planning with cross-functional teams to help shape the data engineering and product roadmaps
- Recruit, grow and manage members of the Data Infrastructure Engineering team - attracting and retaining strong, experienced talent.
- Provide both technical leadership and mentorship of people managers - holding a high performance bar for the team
- Drive the implementation of effective database engineering processes and policies that emphasize quality and forward progress of the data engineering team
- Own daily management of objectives, priorities, tradeoffs, and risks for your organization, measuring effectiveness through instrumentation and data.
- 10+ years experience leading high volume, high availability, data infrastructure engineering teams
- Experience evolving and scaling existing data stores towards a new target architecture over time
- Demonstrated experience in running teams distributed across multiple locations
- Experience operating in a scalable distributed data environment in the public cloud
- Experience with a variety of SQL and NoSQL databases
- A track record of recruiting extraordinary, diverse senior technical talent to inspire a talented team
- Strong presentation, organizational and communication skills
- Ability able to weigh conflicting constraints and make rapid decisions in a dynamic environment
- BA/MA in Comp Sci, Engineering math, statistics, or related field
At SurveyMonkey, we offer competitive salaries, medical/dental benefits, PTO, 401k, paid holidays, and equity compensation.
SurveyMonkey is an equal opportunity employer.