SurveyMonkey is the world's leading provider of web-based survey solutions, but there's really much more to us than that. We're a smart, passionate group of people who work hard to deliver the best survey experience on the planet, period. We do this because we believe everyone deserves easy access to the insights and information they need to make better, more informed decisions.
SurveyMonkey is trusted by millions of customers, including 99% of the Fortune 500, as well as other businesses, academic institutions and organizations of all shapes and sizes. We collect 2.8 million survey responses daily from people in all countries around the world.
In addition to work on SurveyMonkey's core product, the Ottawa team is also home to the development team for our new SurveyMonkey Apply product (https://apply.surveymonkey.com):
SurveyMonkey Apply allows organizations to accept and review online application submissions for grants, scholarships, awards, loans, etc... It features an easy, yet advanced workflow designer allowing it to model and accommodate virtually any application process and workflow.
We're also proud to admit that despite our incredible growth over the past 15 years, we refuse to grow up. We are still small and nimble; everyone plays an impactful role; and when we say good ideas can come from anyone, we mean it. If this sounds like home to you, and you're ready to make your work matter to millions, we'd love to meet you.
We are looking for Software Engineers for our SurveyMonkey Apply product who have a passion for solving complex and interesting problems. In addition to scaling our popular websites, we are looking for people who can help with data collection, advanced analysis and data visualization.
As part of our R&D team, you'll work closely with product managers, fellow software developers and designers to build new features and enhance current offerings in one of SurveyMonkey's software products. Every engineer here gets a chance to contribute cool and innovative new features that hit production fast, so you'll have plenty of chance to watch as features you worked roll out and help improve the lives of literally millions of users.
Some of the cool things you will do as a Software Engineer include:
- Build new dynamic features for our cloud-based software applications.
- Create unit tests to ensure functionality throughout the development cycle.
- Help grow the company by implementing trackable metrics for data-based decision making.
- Become an expert in technologies and tools used at the company including: Python, Django, jQuery, Node.js, Webpack, Redis, SASS, Gunicorn, MySQL, Git, Docker
- Work on both user-facing and non-user facing portions of our software.
- Stay on top of software trends and continuously self-educate.
- Have a minimum of eight years experience in web application development
- In-depth, hands-on knowledge of Python and experience working with the relevant tools
- Experience with modern web frameworks, like Django, Flask, or Rails (Ruby)
- Able to write efficient SQL queries and design schemas for relational databases (MySQL experience is desired)
- Culture of code reviews and collaborating closely with other people (not a solo hacker)
- Be self-motivated and have a strong work ethic; willing to go the extra mile when it's crunch time
- Have a passion for building highly functional and user friendly software.
- Bachelors or Masters in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent
- Experience building high-traffic websites
- Experience with responsive design and building mobile-friendly applications
- Experience coding around various external service APIs
- Agile, test driven development, continuous builds, and frequent deployments
- Material contributions to open source projects
- Linux (Ubuntu) configuration and administration
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes are a plus
- NoSQL data stores (e.g. Redis, etc)
Must be able to obtain and hold government security clearance at the Reliability level.
At SurveyMonkey, we offer competitive salaries, medical/dental benefits, PTO, RRSP matching, and equity compensation.
SurveyMonkey is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities