Founded in 1999 and based in San Mateo, California, SurveyMonkey is the world’s leading platform for turning people’s voices and opinions into actionable data — People Powered Data. Whether it’s with customers, employees, or a target market, SurveyMonkey helps curious individuals and companies — including 99% of the Fortune 500 — have conversations at scale with the people who matter most. It’s People Powered Data that allows them to understand not only “what” is happening, but “why.” SurveyMonkey’s 700+ employees throughout North America, Europe, and Asia Pacific are dedicated to powering the curious.
Does _surveymonkey_ speak to you? Then you’re probably just who we need to help us build interesting, scalable solutions (and create maintainable systems that stand the test of time). See your code go live right away — and have an impact today, tomorrow, and for years to come. More importantly, we’re a friendly bunch looking for a teammate, not a lone wolf. If you're looking to own an integral part of our system, let's chat!
We are looking for a Lead API Architect for the Developer Platform team who has a real passion for solving complex and interesting problems, and defining API standards and adoption for the greater team. We build and maintain the APIs that help grow our platform both internally and throughout our customer base, as well as provide strategic integrations to get feedback where it’s needed most.
Some of the things you will do as a Lead API Architect at SurveyMonkey include:
- Define company-wide API standards used for service re-architecture.
- Drive adoption of API standards and spec-driven development.
- Develop methods and tools for solving problems around API access control, including throttling, monitoring, and authorization.
- Collaborate with teams across the company to solve API design and implementation problems.
- Design, build, and maintain high traffic, multi-region services.
- Top-to-bottom ownership of new features, including crafting technical specs, writing readable and extensible code, and keeping tabs on post-release metrics.
- Investigate and address issues with performance, scalability, and maintainability.
- Participate in code reviews.
- Stay on top of software trends and continuously self-educate.
You will be contributing to the engineering strategy and development, operation, and maintenance of the APIs. You will also be providing guidance and support for a wide range of solutions and services looking adopt and build against those APIs.
- Minimum of 10+ years experience in web application development mainly focused on the backend (we use Python)
- Experience building and maintaining a publicly available RESTful API that supports tens of thousands of developers.
- Able to write efficient SQL queries and design schemas for relational databases (MSSQL and MySQL experience is a plus).
- Culture of code reviews, writing tech specs, and collaborating closely with others (not a solo hacker).
- Be self-motivated and have a strong work ethic; willing to go the extra mile when it's crunch time.
- Bachelors or Masters in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent.
- Experience with multi-region data center architecture.
- Experience working with a distributed service-oriented architecture.
- Experience building high-traffic websites.
- Experience supporting customer SLAs.
- Experience designing APIs with the OpenAPI Specification.
- Experience with GraphQL.
- Experience with modern authentication and authorization practices.
- Experience with continuous integration (frequent deployments).
- Material contributions to open source projects.
- Linux (Ubuntu) configuration and administration.
Must be able to obtain and hold government security clearance at the Reliability level.
At SurveyMonkey, we offer competitive salaries, medical/dental benefits, PTO, RRSP matching, and equity compensation.
SurveyMonkey is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities.