About the role:
The most successful companies understand that data and analysis are the foundation of any effective business strategy. Modern enterprises live and breathe data that they leverage through all sorts of dedicated analytics platforms: customer, product, supply chain, finance, etc. But until now, there’s never been an effective software solution to understand, measure, and optimize companies’ most important asset: their brand.
Survata is a venture-funded startup building the Brand Intelligence Platform. We offer a comprehensive set of tools that help our Fortune 100 clients understand and improve how they’re perceived in the marketplace, how aware consumers are of the value they provide, and how much consumers trust them to provide the value they promise.
Survata has already built an excellent backend system for gathering and statistically analyzing data on consumer sentiment. To fully unlock the power of our system, Survata now needs to build out a suite of interactive, visually compelling, self-serve analytical tools to help marketers ask and answer sophisticated strategic questions (and visually communicate their results to internal stakeholders).
Our Applications Engineering team is small but growing rapidly, and we need a Full Stack Architect like you who can provide strong technical leadership to our ongoing effort to build a React/Redux-based dashboard that satisfies complex, data-intensive customer needs while remaining simple to use, efficient to build, and easy to extend and maintain.
This is an opportunity to have an immediate, pivotal impact on the development of a modern, professional-grade set of tools for measuring, visualizing, and statistical analyzing the impact of hundreds of millions of dollars of marketing spend by some of the largest companies in the world (with that amount growing more than 100% year-over-year).
As a Full Stack Architect, you’ll heavily guide the development of our entire product and technical systems, from the shape and philosophy of our backend API our approach to data visualization and API-client development. If you’re interested, you’ll also have opportunities to work on our data pipelines (which handle billions of events per month) or our statistical pipelines (which apply cutting-edge causal inference methods to our high-quality, high-signal data).
This is not a management role, but you will be expected and empowered to lift up the architectural and development standards for the entire team.
- You have extensive experience with end-to-end development of powerful, intuitive, highly-functional products for professional end users. You understand the various philosophies of API design and have informed opinions on their respective strengths and weaknesses. You’ve built robust, high-quality API-consuming applications before (whether single-page web apps, mobile apps, or cloud-powered desktop apps). You have the perspective to see where contemporary approaches (like the single-page web app) fit into and build upon the long lineage of computer interface technologies.
- You deeply understand and enjoy programming. You’re deeply familiar with the modern landscape of interface frameworks, web/API frameworks, and databases. You know which frameworks to use, when, in what combinations (and when not to use a framework at all).
- You value and practice rigorous engineering methodology. You believe that well-structured code, comprehensive testing, and solid engineering methodology are a must.
- You have strong opinions about what makes a good API, and what makes a good API client. As a full-stack Architect, you’ll heavily guide the long term development of our API-and-client technical strategies.
- You like solving real-world business problems. Our clients use our data to make their businesses more effective, and you’ll use your skills to turn theoretical ideas into concrete tools and improvements that will help Survata satisfy our clients. You should enjoy collaborating with Product on specs and designs that solve real needs and will delight end users.
- You’re humble. You understand that you’ll be responsible for making sure we end up with great architecture by making sure the best ideas win, even if those ideas aren’t yours.
- You’re curious. You care about understanding the world around you and want to learn more about why it works the way it does.
- You’re the type who fixes problems instead of worrying about who’s responsible for fixing them. You own and take responsibility for your actions and your work and you want to stake out a meaningful area of expertise within the constant swirl and change of startup life.
- You believe that well-oiled, high-trust teams are more effective than the sum of their parts. You know that participating effectively in a team takes deliberate effort and compassionate, effective, and non-violent communication. Survata works hard to foster a welcoming, inclusive climate where people feel safe and supported and actually want to work with each other. You’re comfortable being evaluated for what you add to the team, not just what you add to the codebase.
- At least some experience building tools to visualize and explore large, dense datasets.
- Experience working with React/Redux or comparable interface technologies.
- Experience working with Groovy-on-Grails and MySQL (or comparable web/database technologies).
- Experience with Python, particular as used for statistical analysis.
- Experience at a startup or fast-growing company.
- Experience having final responsibility for the technical quality of products built for demanding professional end users.
- Experience with marketing technology, advertising technology, or market research companies.