Surterra Wellness is expanding rapidly! We are looking for an individual who is a quick learner with the ability to absorb and translate concepts to a variety of audiences, has a proven track record of successful communications, is well organized and flexible with a high degree of accountability, and is able to plan, prioritize and organize in a fast-pace, rapidly changing environment.
Working at Surterra combines the excitement of a small company, the social purpose of a non-profit, and the growth opportunities of a major corporation. If you have a passion to make a difference in the health and wellness of people around the world, Surterra offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career.
We are seeking an energetic Corporate Counsel- Employment to manage a broad array of labor and employment matters. This role will primarily be responsible for partnering with Human Resources and collaborating with management and internal stakeholders to create best practices on managing employee relations matters, oversee the work of outside counsel on employment-related litigation, and advise on employment-related claims and external agency cases, as well as internal employee relations investigations.
The ideal candidate brings strong drafting, litigation, and legal skills, solid business instincts and judgment, and outstanding written and verbal communication skills. The candidate must also be a team player with good interpersonal skills. Requires an advanced degree of JD.
CORE JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support retail stores, production, manufacturing and corporate locations on all legal matters regarding employment law and compliance.
- Provide strategic and practical legal guidance, counseling and support regarding labor
- and employment issues, risk management, internal investigations, employee benefits, and compliance with labor and employment laws and regulations.
- Draft and review employment-related agreements, including assistance with employee equity and other compensation plans and any grants under the same.
- Provide strategic legal guidance related to litigation assessment, prevention and avoidance, investigations, and client counseling.
- Handles, manages, and reports on all employment litigation and trial work to achieve cost-effective and desired results, directly and through outside counsel.
- Manages, directly and through outside counsel, all employment, DOL, EEOC, or OSHA related state and federal complaints, charges, and investigations including preparing position statements.
- Participates in the development of employment policies, procedures, training and programs across the company.
- Escalate non-standard, complex matters to appropriate internal resource.
- Work on additional projects and initiatives as directed by the General Counsel.
JOB SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS
Must have law degree from a recognized university.
Must be admitted to a recognized state bar.
Minimum of 4+ years’ experience in a large law firm and/or in-house environment.
Broad experience handling a full range of labor and employment issues, including performance management, employee counseling, termination, severance, workplace investigations, policy development, employment agreements, employment litigation, FLSA, FMLA, wage and hour issues, workplace accommodations, applications, training, incentive pay, and confidential information.
Additional experience with/knowledge of employee compensation and benefits, ERISA. Workers compensation, and/or immigration is a plus.
Strong interpersonal and presentation skills, along with the ability to communicate effectively with others at all levels of the organization.
Sound judgement and ability to analyze situations and information.
Self-motivated with desire to work in a fast-paced environment.
Attention to detail and the ability to prioritize multiple tasks in order to meet tight deadlines.
Ability to work independently with little or no supervision.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 75% of the time.
- The person in this position needs to occasionally move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery
- The person in this position frequently communicates with other employees/customers. Must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations.
6 CORE VALUES OF A SURTERRA EMPLOYEE
• Integrity - We operate in a regulated and unchartered industry. Act and make decisions that stand up to scrutiny and reflect our position as a sophisticated, credible and respected leader. Be honest, trustworthy, dependable, and honorable. Demonstrate sound moral and ethical ways of interacting.
• Collaboration - We are a collection of the best talent at all levels. Learn and grow from this diversity: welcome healthy debate and proactively seek other perspectives and points of view to find the best solution while not resting on consensus. Proactively ensure the right people have the right information at the right time. Work as a team vs. an individual performer.
• Agility - We are growing incredibly fast in a new industry. Be open to change, be ready to pivot on the moment’s notice, and act with a sense of urgency to take advantage of opportunities. Then be ready to do it again. Quickly –and calmly -respond and adapt to the unexpected. Modify and streamline processes, find more efficient ways of doing your job. Work efficiently across markets, time zones, and functions.
• Intentionality - Intentionality requires action –it makes your intentions happen. Good thoughts are meaningless without action. It is initiative directed by the purpose to move our business forward. Intentionality is doing things important to you, even when not easy. Transformational change happens with intentionally.
• Alignment - Together, we must understand and believe in our vision, mission, business and team goals and priorities. When we make a decision, even when we don’t have consensus we all align behind that decision and execute. We don’t revisit decisions unless we have material new data or circumstances.
• Accountability - Make the best proactive and reactive decisions given the available information and the wisest counsel. • Own your decisions, actions and outcomes, and promptly correct mistakes. • Be reliable, honor commitments and do not finger point, off-load responsibilities, or criticize co-workers. Look after co-workers and team’s success.