- The Buyer will execute the conversion of purchase requisitions generated by the Surterra Wellness store locations and Surterra’s distribution centers for known suppliers and, with the Commodity Leaders, determines the source of supply for requisitions where no current supplier is known, and to process the approved requested purchase.
- The Buyer assists in on-boarding suppliers with Accounting and provides the tactical link for Procurement and other departments in the organization such as Operations, Marketing, IT, Legal, Quality / Regulatory, HR and Distribution.
- The Buyer will monitor open purchase orders and expedite orders, maintaining constant contact with suppliers to Surterra.
- The Buyer, along with the Commodity Leaders, will negotiate with suppliers to improve cost, payment options, delivery, lead time, and quality.
- The Buyer will provide Requisition, PO and Receiving training for new hires and as a re-training tool for current hires.
- Working with Commodity Leaders, the Buyer will generate spend management for Indirect Spend vendors (services, stores operations, and indirect spend Marketing support) while ensuring successful implementation of Global Corporate Supply Chain and Procurement initiatives.
- The Buyer will participate in the Supplier Management Committee meetings, including Material Review Board (MRB) participation and Procurement related Corrective and Preventive Action (CAPA) responses, and the reporting of Procurement and Quality metrics.
- The position will support the Commodity Leaders for compliance with national and regional contracts for quality, delivery, cost containment, contract terms, and contract expiration.
- The role reports to the Director of Procurement and Supply Chain, but will liaise with other Category Leaders and Buyers, as well as Operations, Marketing, IT, Legal, Quality / Regulatory, HR and Distribution.
CORE JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Tactical processing of Purchase Requisitions into Purchase Orders. The Buyer will monitor the PO through receipt and expedite open purchase orders when needed.
- Provide for the upkeep of the SAGE ERP system to maintain current open purchase orders and the maintenance of the system to close PO.s
- Investigate and communicate shipments and critical purchase orders and report to stakeholders.
- Maintain open, professional and courteous communication with all internal and external stakeholders.
- Assist the Commodity leaders in preparing Quarterly Business Reviews with key suppliers.
- Assist Commodity Leaders in on boarding potential suppliers and providing Federal Debarment (OFCCP) review prior to a supplier’s use. Provide for continuity of supply by helping Commodity Leaders in developing second sourcing, and, in some cases, multiple second sources for spend categories.
- Negotiate with suppliers to improve cost, payment options, delivery, lead time, and quality.
- Track cost savings opportunities / avoidance within areas of spend.
- Training and re-training of Surterra employees on the SAGE procurement system.
- Represent procurement in the monthly Supplier Management Committee meetings with operations and quality and MRB.
- Maintain procurement CAPA responses and Material Review Board status, with resolution to issues with the supplier and our accounts payable.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
JOB SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Supply Chain, Operations Management, or Procurement
- 2-3 years’ experience in Procurement – with an emphasis in procurement systems and quality systems in a highly regulated industry.
- Knowledge of best practices from APICS and ISM.
- Detailed Understanding of purchasing practices and procedures.
- Ability to utilize ERP systems for use in procurement and materials management reporting
- Proficiency in windows-based software and Internet navigation -especially MS PowerPoint presentations and MS Excel.
- High attention to detail.
- High degree of integrity (open, honest).
- Results Oriented and Customer Focused.
- Superior customer service skills.
- Ability to work with ambiguity.
- Well-balanced risk manager.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, changing and challenging environment.
- Ability to travel up to 5% of the time throughout the United States.
6 Core Values of a Surterra Employee
Integrity - We operate in a regulated and unchartered industry. Act and make decisions that stand up to scrutiny and reflect our position as a sophisticated, credible and respected leader. Be honest, trustworthy, dependable, and honorable. Demonstrate sound moral and ethical ways of interacting.
Collaboration - We are a collection of the best talent at all levels. Learn and grow from this diversity: welcome healthy debate and proactively seek other perspectives and points of view to find the best solution while not resting on consensus. Proactively ensure the right people have the right information at the right time. Work as a team vs. an individual performer.
Agility - We are growing incredibly fast in a new industry. Be open to change, be ready to pivot on the moment’s notice, and act with a sense of urgency to take advantage of opportunities. Then be ready to do it again. Quickly –and calmly -respond and adapt to the unexpected. Modify and streamline processes, find more efficient ways of doing your job. Work efficiently across markets, time zones, and functions.
Intentionality - Intentionality requires action –it makes your intentions happen. Good thoughts are meaningless without action. It is initiative directed by the purpose to move our business forward. Intentionality is doing things important to you, even when not easy. Transformational change happens with intentionally.
Alignment - Together, we must understand and believe in our vision, mission, business and team goals and priorities. When we make a decision, even when we don’t have consensus we all align behind that decision and execute. We don’t revisit decisions unless we have material new data or circumstances.
Accountability - Make the best proactive and reactive decisions given the available information and the wisest counsel. • Own your decisions, actions and outcomes, and promptly correct mistakes. • Be reliable, honor commitments and do not finger point, off-load responsibilities, or criticize co-workers. Look after co-workers and team’s success.