Ready to make a difference by utilizing your talents? Join a team driven by a mission to help patients, and a culture focused on developing medical device and diagnostic solutions.
Surmodics is pursuing highly differentiated medical devices that are designed to address unmet clinical needs and engineered to the most demanding requirements. This key growth strategy leverages the combination of the Company’s expertise in proprietary surface technologies, along with enhanced device design, development and manufacturing capabilities. The Company mission remains to improve the detection and treatment of disease.
The Product Manager will support Surmodics’ product development and commercialization efforts around the company’s portfolio of venous thrombectomy devices. This role will include both upstream and downstream marketing responsibilities directly tied to new product development and product commercialization including customer requirements definition, product concept validation, project team management, financial analysis, product promotion, business and portfolio strategy, and securing Business Unit commitment through market launch.
- Develop expertise in endovascular peripheral vascular procedures to support clinical inputs for medical device development, build credibility and partnerships with physician customers and identify and explore opportunities within the continuum of peripheral vascular care.
- Partner closely with key thought leaders to anticipate the future market environment, changes in economic climate, the onset of new competitors, and to predict/drive future needs for customers.
- Perform market analysis and identify, understand and communicate key market trends and competitive activity to evaluate market opportunities.
- Contribute to development of portfolio strategy based on market dynamics that are consistent with corporate
- Support external acquisition/strategic alliance activities with market and end-user data.
- Establish and execute market development plans to support product commercialization and drive market share, including customer targeting, clinical data analysis, product and procedure education, and communication tools.
- Work with R&D team to discover, define and create new product pipeline for next generation products to ensure future growth and innovation.
- Provide oversight to ensure short-term and long-term product roadmaps that enable the company to achieve commercial objectives.
- Offer input and champion new product platforms, line extensions and other product enhancements.
- Plan, support, and analyze quantitative and qualitative market research to identify future customer and product opportunities and needs, to inform tradeoffs, and to ensure commercial success.
- Lead and/or assist in leading new product development teams. Responsibilities may include team leadership, project management, timeline management, identification and coordination of development requirements and responsibilities.
- Serve as liaison between Marketing, Clinical Specialists, Sales and/or Customers and Product Development teams. Share clinical and field feedback with teams.
- Identify and communicate unmet clinical needs that drive product design and function.
- Work collaboratively with R&D, Marketing and Executive leadership to gain consensus on product design inputs/needs and future product opportunities.
- Create documentation to support the development process under the quality management system (i.e. Market Specification documents).
- Understand and effectively manage product performance trade-offs with the project teams.
- Ensure that user interface, device packaging and labeling meet end-user needs.
- Coordinate and support physician involvement in providing design inputs and product testing.
- Perform industry data analysis by evaluating product sales, pricing and volumes. Leverage internal data sources to identify key customer targets and high-volume users to help facilitate early user feedback and adoption.
- Create market models with supporting assumptions in order to determine key financial metrics and market opportunity.
- Develop and execute commercialization strategy and product launch plans including branding, financial modeling, pricing, forecasting, inventory requirements, claims matrix development, messaging & positioning, sales training & tools, and promotional strategies.
- Execute downstream marketing activities, including traditional and digital marketing campaigns, key customer engagement programs, value economics demonstration, and Sales tools that are consistent with the portfolio and product strategies.
- Lead competitive analysis to identify and understand competitive landscape, differentiation, advantage and performance.
- Initiate comparative testing in partnership with R&D to demonstrate key product advantages and differentiations.
- Provide on-going support of commercial products with development of effective messaging and positioning strategies and the literature and tools to communicate them.
- Create demand forecast and production plans to support initial device launches. Monitor historical sales and forecast data to ensure adequate inventory to support commercial sales.
- Develop and implement product portfolio strategies including development cadence.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Business Administration, Engineering or related field, MBA preferred
- 1-2 years experience in medical device product management or transferrable experience
- Experience with involvement in product development teams
- Polished and professional, able to be a strong brand ambassador for the company and interact in a genuine way with customers
- Must have full respect for industry and company compliance policies and dedicated to operating within the regulations and spirit of the guidelines
- Excellent presentation skills; ability to communicate effectively in written and verbal format
- Strategic thinker with ability to link strategy to tactics with faultless execution
- Self-starter with strong time management and planning skills; acts with full accountability, ownership, and a high sense of urgency
- Strong analytical skills and data interpretation. Comfortable making data supported recommendations and building a strong business case/justification through modeling to gain organizational support required.
- Excellent IT skills, including all Microsoft packages
- Ability to travel 30-40% (domestic and internationally) with periods of more intense travel based on project requirements
Surmodics offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, including a bonus program, 401(k) with employer match, employee stock purchase plan and stock options.
Surmodics is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.