Ready to make a difference by utilizing your talents? Join a team driven by a mission to help patients, and a culture focused on developing medical device and diagnostic solutions.
Surmodics is pursuing highly differentiated medical devices that are designed to address unmet clinical needs and engineered to the most demanding requirements. This key growth strategy leverages the combination of the Company’s expertise in proprietary surface technologies, along with enhanced device design, development and manufacturing capabilities. The Company mission remains to improve the detection and treatment of disease.
The Principal R&D Engineer will lead product development activities from concept to completion.
- Generate new product designs/concepts in an organized and consistent manner.
- Manage multiple projects and maintain on schedule.
- Build finished devices for design development and verification.
- Supervise direct reports including reinforcing the open-door policy and ensuring duties, responsibilities, authority and expectations for direct reports are defined and understood
- Interface with physicians and other medical personnel in a professional manner (maintaining confidentiality and intellectual property vigilance.)
- Lead product development projects from concept to commercialization.
Note: 90% of this job involves direct R&D activities
- BA/BS in Engineering or physical sciences preferred.
- With a degree, 7 years of related experience required.
- Without a degree, 10 years of related experience required.
- Familiarity with various materials and processes, such as extrusion processing, injection molding, machine shop operations, fixtures and tooling, adhesive and thermal bonding and various other processes for catheter fabrication and design required.
- Knowledge, understanding and skills in: generating new product designs/concepts, catheter materials, processes and design plus test methods and metrology; project management, documentation, and a working knowledge of quality systems and medical device regulations.
- Knowledge of clinical applications and the ability to translate these clinical neeeds into product requirements and supporting detailed design specifications.
- Substantial experience leading all facets of product development from ideation through full commercialization.
- A demonstrated ability to supervise technical personnel and lead product development activities to completion.
- Required travel 10%
Surmodics offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, including a bonus program, 401(k) with employer match, employee stock purchase plan and stock options.
Surmodics is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.