Ready to make a difference by utilizing your talents? Join a team driven by a mission to help patients, and a culture focused on developing medical device and diagnostic solutions.
Surmodics is pursuing highly differentiated medical devices that are designed to address unmet clinical needs and engineered to the most demanding requirements. This key growth strategy leverages the combination of the Company’s expertise in proprietary surface technologies, along with enhanced device design, development and manufacturing capabilities. The Company mission remains to improve the detection and treatment of disease.
The Principal Cost Accountant's primary responsibilities are cost and inventory accounting, along with monthly gross margin analysis and reporting for the Company’s US operations. Cost and inventory accounting includes all related accounting and reporting for the US operations, including but not limited to setting and maintenance of standard costs, monitoring and reporting on cost variances and scrap drivers, understanding inventory fluctuation and reserve requirements. This position works closely with Manufacturing Operations and Supply Chain in carrying out its responsibilities, along with regular interaction with the Company’s Ireland cost accountant to ensure consistent cost and inventory accounting across the Company. This position also provides support for the Corporate Accounting Manager responsibilities.
Maintenance – GL ERP System (20%)
- Post journal entries to the general ledger as necessary
- Create new inventory and COGS accounts as needed
- Maintain and update general ledger integration from inventory and COGS accounts
- Coordinate with US Supply Chain and Operations in the creation of inventory warehouse and bin locations
- Control reconciliation activities associated with inventory, inventory reserve and COGS accounts
Cost Accounting (70%)
- Work with Operations to develop monitoring responsibilities of monthly product gross margins and manufacturing variances to identify areas for improvement and other items to be determined
- Provide monthly reporting to key stakeholders of the key drivers of cost of goods sold
- Lead the annual standard cost setting
- Review and approve any new product standard costs
- Update annual labor and overhead rates for Operations
- Update annual raw material standard costs with Supply Chain
- Analyze and prepare quarterly inventory reserves for excess and obsolete inventory and research and development related inventory
- Review ERP system capabilities including additional reporting to aid in monitoring and tracking of results
- Track monthly variances and determine if standards costs require adjustment
- Work with Operations to identify and implement lean manufacturing efficiencies including monitoring tools
- Develop process and monitor product and contract coating profitability
- Develop ad hoc analysis
- Identify and implement process improvements
- Develop inventory and cost of sales inputs for annual operating plan
- Serve as a subject matter expert to the Ireland team on their cost accounting
- Prepare support packages for various sections of the SEC reports (financial pages and footnotes)
- Assist Corporate Accounting Manager and Principle Technical Accountant with various other requests
- Interact with external/internal auditors and tax consultants as necessary
- Assist in the annual audit process
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- CPA required
- Minimum 5 years related industry/functional experience including cost accounting experience
- Strong financial/operational focus
- Strong systems aptitude and experience (Excel, ERP systems, etc.)
- Knowledge of basic accounting principles as well as cost accounting principles
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Experience with lean manufacturing
Surmodics offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, including a bonus program, 401(k) with employer match, employee stock purchase plan and stock options.
Surmodics is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.