Ready to make a difference by utilizing your talents? Join a team driven by a mission to help patients, and a culture focused on developing medical device and diagnostic solutions.
Surmodics is pursuing highly differentiated medical devices that are designed to address unmet clinical needs and engineered to the most demanding requirements. This key growth strategy leverages the combination of the Company’s expertise in proprietary surface technologies, along with enhanced device design, development and manufacturing capabilities. The Company mission remains to improve the detection and treatment of disease.
The Environmental, Health and Safety (EH&S) Specialist acts as Surmodics Safety Officer for Minnesota facilities. Position serves as subject matter expert on all company related EH&S requirements. Primary responsibilities include conducting EH&S training, ensuring compliance with all applicable regulatory requirements, updating, organizing and maintaining all EH&S related records, updating EH&S policy documents and procedures, and act as primary hazardous waste coordinator. Additionally, the EH&S Specialist will provide support Surmodics Facilities and Operations departments, as directed.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Environmental Health and Safety Program Management
• Act as Surmodics Safety Officer for Minnesota facilities and serve on company Safety Committee.
• Perform process/job hazard assessments, provide recommendations, and follow through with corrective action.
• Lead all EH&S related training to include training for new employees and refresher training as required by Federal/State/Local laws.
• Update and champion all Surmodics EH&S policies and related documents, including revisions to internal EH&S policy and regulatory related changes.
• Coordinate purchase of required safety related equipment including personal protective equipment, miscellaneous tools and hazardous waste related supplies.
• Maintain all EH&S records including medical surveillance, air monitoring, exposure records, incident reports, equipment inspection, spills, and training.
• Act as a team member for Chemical Spill Response and Medical Emergency Response teams; manage associated response procedures and coordinate required training sessions for team members.
• Review hazards of new chemical or physical agents including pharmaceutical agents for use.
• Address ergonomic concerns with workstations, production, laboratory, and office areas.
• Keep abreast of health, safety, and environmental regulations and assure compliance.
• Lead all EH&S related audits for regulatory agency and internal inspections.
• Act as liaison between Surmodics employees and health service provider for safety related medical interactions, as required.
Hazardous Waste and Environmental Compliance
• Provide annual updates to the Metropolitan Council and Hennepin County Environmental Services regarding hazardous waste stream management and licensing.
• Coordinate waste-stream sampling, testing, waste collection, consolidation, and disposal.
• Assist with preparation and shipping of lab packs of expired/old chemicals on an as needed basis. Assist with monitoring, inspecting, and bulking of the hazardous waste cans and barrels. Maintain appropriate documentation according to regulations. Update and maintain procedures for waste handling and disposal.
• Manage waste generation and disposal; maintain records as required by Minnesota Pollution Control Agency. Provide training to all personnel generating hazardous waste.
• Prepare required plans and permit applications for applicable regulations (ie. Air Quality Management, Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan, Spill Prevention Control and Countermeasures Plan, Well permit, etc.).
• B.S. degree in appropriate EH&S related discipline; and 3-5 years related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Written skills necessary to update and manage EH&S related documents.
• Good written and verbal communication skills. Position requires EH&S Specialist to lead training/presentations.
• Computer skills appropriate for work responsibilities.
Surmodics offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, including a bonus program, 401(k) with employer match, employee stock purchase plan and stock options.
Surmodics is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.