Women are on the cusp of becoming the most powerful force in America. But to fundamentally transform this country, we need to pull together the millions of women who are already engaged and amplify and expand their civic participation. Supermajority Education Fund is a new effort to build women’s power across the country by training and mobilizing a multiracial, intergenerational community who will lead the fight for gender equity. We will provide women with the tools, resources, and knowledge they need to channel the energy and activism of this moment and build it into a long-term movement for change.
Since our founding in April 2019, Supermajority Education Fund and our related 501(c)(4) organization, Supermajority, have reached more than a million women through in-person conversations and online outreach. In August 2019, over 75,000 people from all 50 states completed our Women’s* Poll, which led to the creation of the Majority Rules, a set of values to help us build the country we deserve. In September and October 2019, the Supermajority Education Fund Bus Tour met up with thousands of women across fourteen states, and included conversations between our members and five presidential candidates. In December 2019 we launched Supermajority News, a new editorial platform reporting on the intersection of gender, politics, and activism, and welcomed Pantsuit Nation, an online community of more than 3 million women and allies, into our organization. In 2020, we are poised to run the country’s largest woman-to-woman voter engagement program by offering strategic digital tools, training, and information to women and allies around the country.
Supermajority Education Fund is seeking a Communications Associate to support the communications team. Reporting to the Press Secretary, the Communications Associate will be primarily responsible for compiling and updating research-based talking points on the current status of women in America, copy-editing and fact checking materials, assisting with storytelling and narrative curation and able to assist with the overall operations needs of the communications department. The Communications Associate will also serve a key role in facilitating internal communications across the team, including organizing the team calendar, and distributing meeting notes and action items. This is a great opportunity for a recent graduate/entry-level applicant who prides themselves on their strong attention to detail and is highly organized, creative, resourceful and passionate about gender equity and storytelling. All duties can be done virtually during COVID-19 pandemic.
Essential Responsibilities and Activities:
- Assist in fact-checking and copy-editing external communications
- Process and track incoming inquiries from reporters and outlets and work with communications and scheduling team on timely and coordinated response;
- Work with producers to finalize logistics on speaking and media engagements;
- Create and update press lists via Cision and Google Suite
- Take a creative approach to storytelling through data that can be used for communications materials such as memos, presentations, quotes and talking points
- Careful and constant monitoring of the news cycle and issues relevant to Supermajority’s focus, compile and send daily press clips
- Communicate and track key dates and upcoming opportunities relevant to Supermajority’s work
- Help to identify research needs and analyze existing research
- Assist with communications operations and administration as needed.
The successful candidate must have the following skills and qualities:
- Ability to translate complex issues and data into everyday, memorable language
- Ability to write, edit, and fact-check with precision and calm during high volume, fast-paced periods
- 1-2 years of communications, political or research experience
- A passion for research
- Strong virtual communication and collaboration: Efficiency and comfort with Slack and Google Suite, responsiveness via email, and willingness to participate in weekly group calls or as needed
- Working for racial equity: Willingness to integrate an understanding of key racial equity concepts into work projects and interactions by addressing structural implications and disproportionate impacts of policies, activities, and decisions on race, class and other group identities within the context of job responsibilities and projects
The strongest candidates will also have some of the following skills and experience:
- Experience with Cision or other media monitoring tools
- Experience using research databases and multiple other data sources
- Experience with video editing software is a plus
- Interest or experience in drafting content for social media
- Experience with or deep knowledge of women’s or racial equity issues
- Spanish language skills highly desirable
- The annual salary starts at $60,000 and is commensurate with experience.
- Supermajority Education Fund, a fiscally sponsored project of the New Venture Fund, provides a benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance; paid time off; and retirement benefits.
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume and writing sample via the link below. Applications will be reviewed as they come in. The deadline to apply is Friday, May 29th.
New Venture Fund Careers:
Supermajority Education Fund is a project of the New Venture Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. The New Venture Fund is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. The New Venture Fund's work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
Super Majority Education Fund collaborates and shares resources with Sixteen Thirty Fund’s Supermajority project.