Women are on the cusp of becoming the most powerful force in America. But to fundamentally transform this country, we need to pull together the millions of women who are already engaged and amplify and expand their civic participation. Supermajority Education Fund is a new effort to build women’s power across the country by training and mobilizing a multiracial, intergenerational community who will lead the fight for gender equity. We will provide women with the tools, resources, and knowledge they need to channel the energy and activism of this moment and build it into a long-term movement for change.
Since our founding in April 2019, Supermajority Education Fund and our related 501(c)(4) organization, Supermajority, have reached more than a million women through in-person conversations and online outreach. In August 2019, over 75,000 people from all 50 states completed our Women’s* Poll, which led to the creation of the Majority Rules, a set of values to help us build the country we deserve. In September and October 2019, the Supermajority Education Fund Bus Tour met up with thousands of women across fourteen states, and included conversations between our members and five presidential candidates. In December 2019 we launched Supermajority News, a new editorial platform reporting on the intersection of gender, politics, and activism, and welcomed Pantsuit Nation, an online community of more than 3 million women and allies, into our organization. In 2020, we are poised to run the country’s largest woman-to-woman voter engagement program by offering strategic digital tools, training, and information to women and allies around the country.
Supermajority Education Fund is seeking a Copyeditor Senior Associate who will report to the Digital Content Manager and primarily be responsible for editing copy across the organization, including Supermajority News, social media, email, Facebook Messenger, and materials for the organizing and development teams. The Copyeditor Senior Associate will also work alongside our brand and communications team to ensure our organization’s brand and voice is present and consistent in all materials. All duties can be done virtually during the COVID-19 pandemic.
A successful candidate will be creative, collaborative, and have a keen eye for detail. Above all, the Copyeditor Senior Associate must be able to effectively ensure the organization is communicating our organizational values across all platforms with the express purpose of fostering a sense of belonging within our community and cultivating our members’ desire and ability to take action on behalf of gender equity.
Essential Responsibilities and Activities:
Content Editing and Messaging Refinement
- Edit copy across Supermajority teams and platforms, including Supermajority News, social media, email, Facebook Messenger, and materials for the organizing and development teams to ensure clear, creative, and compelling messaging.
- Fact-check news and political content prior to publication
- Help create and maintain internal writing style guides and processes to support consistency across all product copy
- Collaborate with Communications team to ensure our values and mission as well as the needs of the community members we hope to engage are reflected in all copy
The successful candidate must have the following skills and qualities:
- Copyediting experience: Experience working with mission-oriented organizations, businesses, or media outlets as a copyeditor
- Time management and organizational skills: Demonstrated ability to remain organized and on top of ongoing priorities, and to manage multiple assignments at a time
- Strong writing skills: Ability to write clearly and concisely in the organization’s voice
- Strong virtual communication and collaboration: Efficiency and comfort with Slack and Google Suite, responsiveness via email, and willingness to participate in weekly group calls or as needed
- Working for racial equity. Willingness to integrate an understanding of key racial equity concepts into work projects and interactions by addressing structural implications and disproportionate impacts of policies, activities, and decisions on race, class and other group identities within the context of job responsibilities and projects
Valued and Non-Essential Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and/or Google Suite
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple complex projects, and meet deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to work across differences
- The annual salary starts at $75,000.
- Supermajority Education Fund, a fiscally sponsored project of the New Venture Fund, provides a benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance; paid time off; and retirement benefits.
How to Apply Please submit a resume via the link above. Applications will be reviewed as they come in. The deadline to apply is May 29, 2020.
New Venture Fund Careers Supermajority Education Fund is a project of the New Venture Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. The New Venture Fund is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. The New Venture Fund's work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
Super Majority Education Fund collaborates and shares resources with Sixteen Thirty Fund’s Supermajority project.