Women are on the cusp of becoming the most powerful force in America. But to fundamentally transform this country, we need to pull together the millions of women and amplify and expand their civic engagement. Supermajority Education Fund (SMEF) is a new effort to build women’s power across the country by training and mobilizing a multiracial, intergenerational community who will lead the fight for gender equity. We will provide women with the tools, resources, and knowledge they need to channel the energy and activism of this moment and build it into a long-term movement for change.
Our goal is to engage millions of women and others who share common values on the need to achieve gender equity. Supermajority Education Fund will provide the training and community-building necessary to help people both stay engaged and ] increase their skills and confidence as advocates and grassroots organizers. We seek to build a national cohort of leaders who learn from us and from each other about the powerful possibility of women. Through ongoing exposure to leaders, community efforts and issue education, we will create a united force across America that can work together to create the will to make substantive progress on issues that affect millions of women – from reproductive equity to affordable child care to equal pay. Supermajority Education Fund was created out of the belief that women know how to solve these problems but we need a trained, organized and united national movement in order to make real lasting change.
Supermajority Education Fund is seeking a skilled Digital Events Associate who will join the mobilization team to support all aspects of online event production, promotion, and programming. Reporting to the Head of Activation, the Digital Events Associate will play a critical role in producing events for audiences at every stage of the engagement funnel -- from those new to activism to those who have been doing this work a long time. The Digital Events Associate will partner with the digital team, communications team, and organizing team to ensure that events are well publicized, attended, and that they are seen as valuable by participants. Online events might take place on IGTV, Facebook Live, Zoom, Icebreaker or any other emerging technology that can help us meet people where they are. With a community of over 800,000 and growing across email, sms, and Facebook messenger, the Diigital Events Associate will have a built in audience to recruit from. This person will be a key creative partner in developing novel ideas for digital interaction opportunities.
The Digital Events Associate will be responsible for running online events for the purposes of both building a multiracial, intergenerational community of women and getting that audience to take action in the name of gender equity. The Digital Events Associate may be asked to communicate directly with community members, volunteers, moderators, partner organizations, or contractors in the course of this work. This role will have a somewhat flexible schedule, including an expectation for some evening and weekend work.
The ideal candidate for this position will be a confident communicator, innovative relationship builder, creative thinker, and someone with a deep belief in the power of digital organizing to bring together women from all walks of life to build community and to take tangible meaningful action on behalf of gender equity.
Essential Responsibilities and Activities:
- Deepen community engagement across all digital channels, via supporting and strategizing with the team on member engagement opportunities and other digital organizing events
- Cultivate a sense of community through serving as an ambassador of our Majority Rules across our digital channels and communications
- Think creatively about delivery of information, calls to action, and other content across live and asynchronous channels
- Set up and/or manage digital campaigns in:
- Facebook Messenger
- Support development and rollout of remote programming, including webinars, Facebook lives, online meetings and others of 100 - 1000+ people
- Support content creation for online channels, including text, email, website pages, webinar scripts, etc.
- Build reporting to make metric-driven improvements to programming
The affiliated 501(c)(4) project also coordinates with another 501(c)(4) organization that operates independently. Responsibilities at the independent 501(c)(4) Supermajority include:
- Identify how member content can be shared across Supermajority Education Fund channels and integrated into our member offerings
- Support end-to-end member engagement process, including:
- Develop agendas for digital events on various platforms, including but not limited to webinars, Facebook Live, and Instagram TV.
- Develop concepts and language for member calls to action, alongside Head of Activation and mobilization team
- Follow up, reply, and maintain Supermajority member information email inbox or other queries
- Review performance of member activation and communication campaigns and lift up findings to the Head of Activation
Data & reporting
- Maintain and support effective and efficient communication systems with all Supermajority volunteers on Icebreaker calls
- Support team needs in regards to volunteer calls, peer-to-peer texting, and more
- Respond to volunteer questions and feedback
The successful candidate must have the following skills and qualities:
- Detail oriented & organized: There are lots of moving parts, so it’s critical for the Digital Events Associate to have a plan for keeping it all together and communicating progress.
- Content creation: Experience in online content creation, with experience in the non-profit, advocacy, or political space a plus. Live digital event experience preferred
- Digital organizing knowledge: Familiarity with best practices in social media/email/digital organizing, communication, and volunteer recruitment and support
- Constituency management: Experience communicating directly with key and varied stakeholders through digital channels
- Flexibility and adaptability: Comfortable working in fast-paced, changing environments with ability to occasionally maintain long, and sometimes irregular hours
- Creativity and innovative spirit: willingness to suggest and test ideas, learn from successes as well as failures, and think beyond current models for community engagement
- Strong virtual communication and collaboration: Efficiency and comfort with Slack and Google Suite, responsiveness via email, and willingness to participate in weekly group calls or as needed
- Working for racial equity: Consistently integrate a deep understanding of key racial equity concepts into work projects and interactions by addressing structural implications and disproportionate impacts of policies, activities, and decisions on race, class and other group identities within the context of job responsibilities and projects. You have a commitment to the values of SMEF, most critically working with a workforce of all backgrounds, races, and ages, with sensitivity and appreciation for cultural differences
The strongest candidates will also have some of the following skills and experience:
- Experience with Slack and Zoom
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and/or Google Suite
- Basic graphic design and comfort with Canva or Adobe Photoshop
- Demonstrated ability to quickly master new technology offerings
- Experience with digital accessibility practices
- The annual salary starts at $60,000.
- Supermajority Education Fund, a fiscally sponsored project of the New Venture Fund, provides a benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance; paid time off; and retirement benefits.
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume and cover letter via the link above. Your cover letter should speak to your qualifications for building meaningful community and inspiring action via digital tools, and include some ideas -- big or small -- that you have for Supermajority Education Fund’s online community program. You may be asked in follow up applicant review stages to provide work samples. Applications will be reviewed as they come in. The deadline to apply is May 18, 2020.
New Venture Fund Careers:
Supermajority Education Fund is a project of the New Venture Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. The New Venture Fund is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. The New Venture Fund's work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
Super Majority Education Fund collaborates and shares resources with Sixteen Thirty Fund’s Supermajority project.