Sunset is the West’s most iconic magazine brand and the region’s utmost authority in celebrating the best in food, home and design, gardening, and travel. In addition to publishing the bimonthly print magazine, Sunset has millions of digital readers across its website, newsletters, and social media channels. We are passionate about showcasing the West’s best homes, gardens, chefs, artisans, makers, personalities, natural wonders, and travel destinations.
We are looking for a creative, enthusiastic, and meticulous Senior Editor to help fill all our platforms with expert, engaging, and inspiring stories, images, and videos and reach new audiences through the print magazine, the website, and social media. The candidate should be wide-ranging in their curiosity about the West and an ace at uncovering unexpected phenomena, from the diversity of our foodways to the native species in our yards to the next hippie hideaway or unsung designer.
We're looking for an entrepreneurial editor who not only understands the importance of digital and video but can also aggressively grow our voice and audience on new platforms and actively seek out new partnerships, endeavors, and business opportunities for the brand. We want someone who loves "the lifestyle of the West" so much they're constantly demonstrating it out loud, to friends, co-workers, and the public at large. Additionally we’re reaching new audiences with our quarterly subscription box, wine club, and events.
At Sunset, the editorial staff is tight and dedicated, a team of can-do, multi-hyphenate writer/editor/videographer/social-media-savvy creators and hosts with taste and hustle who love workshopping headlines, concepting videos, dreaming up digital and magazine features, and turning around timely stories before lunch. Sometimes that means getting up at 4:30 in the morning to drive to the desert in search of the perfect magazine cover, then hopping on a brainstorm Zoom with a fly-fishing guide in Oregon to talk about secret rivers for the outdoor living issue. If that sounds like something you can do well, efficiently, and with grace and aplomb, then read on.
- Run the day-to-day of the magazine, from developing the editorial calendar, to conceiving issue themes, to assigning, writing, and editing front-of-book stories and features
- Write several stories, slideshows, and social posts a week for Sunset.com on all sorts of topics, from food and travel to home décor and gardening
- Work closely with the Digital Editor to insure that our storytelling on all platforms is of the highest quality, from editorial stories, to branded content, to email newsletters
- Closely monitor news and social media across the region in search of ideas and inspiration
- Evolve the voice of the brand on all platforms
- Take a practical and creative approach to SEO—i.e., write to keywords but write beautifully
- Pitch new rubrics, columns, projects, and video franchises across all Sunset platforms
- Identify and fix errors in live web content
- Curate and write newsletter content
- Work with the advertising department and clients on branded content campaigns
- Conceive, shoot, edit, appear in, and assist in the production of video series and snackable video for social media
- At least 5 years of experience writing and/or editing, for either digital or print
- A firm grasp of the Sunset brand and aesthetic
- A can-do, get-it-done attitude
- Addicted to staying on top of news, trends, and pop culture
- Proficiency with social media platforms, WordPress, and Google Docs
- Knowledge of InDesign and InCopy a plus