Sunset is the West’s iconic magazine brand and the region’s utmost authority in celebrating the best in food, home and design, gardening, and travel. In addition to publishing our bimonthly print magazine, Sunset has millions of digital readers across our website, newsletters, and social media channels. We are passionate about showcasing the West’s best chefs, designers, artisans, makers, personalities, homes, gardens, natural wonders, and travel destinations.
We are looking for a creative, enthusiastic, and meticulous Senior Editor to help fill the print magazine, the website, and social media with inspiring stories and images. The candidate should be wide-ranging in their curiosity about the West and an ace at uncovering unexpected phenomena, from the diversity of our foodways to the native species in our yards to the next hippie hideaway or unsung designer.
At Sunset, the editorial staff is tight and dedicated, a team of can-do, multi-hyphenate writer/editor/videographer/social-media-savvy creators and hosts with taste and hustle who love workshopping headlines, concepting videos, dreaming up sweeping magazine features, and turning around timely stories before lunch. Sometimes that means getting up at 4:30 in the morning to drive to the desert in search of the perfect magazine cover, then hopping on a brainstorm Zoom with a fly-fishing guide in Oregon to talk about secret rivers for the camping issue. If that sounds like something you can do well, efficiently, and with grace and aplomb, then read on.
- Conceive, assign, write, and edit front-of-book stories and features
- Write several stories, slideshows, and social posts a week for Sunset.com on all sorts of topics, from food and travel to home décor and gardening
- Closely monitor news and social media across the region in search of ideas and inspiration
- Evolve the voice of the publication
- Take a practical and creative approach to SEO—i.e., write to keywords but write beautifully
- Pitch new rubrics, columns, and projects across all Sunset platforms
- Identify and fix errors in live web content
- Curate and write newsletter content
- Working with advertising and clients on branded content campaigns
- At least 5 years of experience writing and/or editing, for either digital or print
- A firm grasp of the Sunset brand and aesthetic
- A can-do, get-it-done attitude
- Addicted to staying on top of news, trends, and pop culture
- Proficiency with social media platforms, WordPress, and Google Docs
- Knowledge of InDesign and InCopy a plus