For well over a century, Sunset has been mapping out the West, exploring its cities and small towns, its beaches and mountains, its attractions both natural and manmade. Now we’re looking for a Travel-focused Editorial Assistant to help reinvigorate our digital coverage. Our guides, stories, and slideshows are a terrific resource for travelers, but we want to make them better than ever, with more striking photos, more actionable service, and with a deeper understanding of what makes the region vibrant and unique. Responsibilities for this role will include research, writing, production and support for a number of special projects such as SEO-optimization, site cleanup, photo research and more. We’re looking for someone who lives and breathes Western travel; a whip-smart writer who is fast, thorough, and imaginative, who can take direction and feedback well and who is eager to collaborate and develop their skills.
- Assist Travel Editor with brainstorming, writing and updating digital features
- Use SEO research, social-media cues, cyclical news events, and intuition/imagination to conceive of new stories and projects
- Keep abreast of analytics, both historical and real-time, to guide section development
- Contribute to the print edition under section editor’s guidance
- Coordinate with Travel Editor to achieve broader section aims
- Participate in IRL Sunset events
- Deep knowledge of the travel industry, particularly in the West
- At least four years’ writing/editing experience, ideally with a digital focus
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks, stay organized, and switch focus quickly and often
- Proficiency with WordPress, Google Analytics, Parse.ly, and social media platforms such as Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest
- Ability to write fast, clean, and creatively, with a mastery of voice that can encompass SEO-friendly headlines, serious service journalism, and lively, inventive storytelling
- Los Angeles-based preferred
Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org to apply.