Sunset Magazine has captured lifestyle in the West since 1898, when it was founded by the Southern Pacific Railroad. Today, Sunset covers the latest in Western living, from industry-leading garden expertise, to the latest trends in home and food, to glamping and #vanlife.
Sunset is looking for an Archivist intern this fall to support our Los Angeles Office.
We are looking for a passionate student that is excited about supporting our active archive of historical collections. He or she will be responsible for processing and organizing an extensive historical collection of Sunset’s works which include Magazines, Books, Posters etc.
Tasks would include:
- Creating and managing databases in Excel
- Describing collections of archival materials
- Helping to create an infrastructure and preservation plan for the management of materials
- Creating an outreach strategy to connect our readers with the archival material.
- Creating a marketing strategy to help monetize our collection of works
Our archivist intern will work a min. 12-16 hours per week and will have the opportunity to experience the inner workings of one of the largest regional magazines in the world. This internship is for course credit.
Candidates must be in the Los Angeles during internship. Please submit a resume and cover letter about why you want this internship.
- Journalism, photography or creative arts major
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Interest in digital media and passion for lifestyle content
- Detail-oriented and extremely organized
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel
- Must be able to lift up to 30 lbs.