Sunset is seeking a Digital Designer to create catchy, beautiful day-to-day assets—and to guide our development as Sunset.com evolves. The ideal candidate will be a fast, inventive designer, with a high level of taste and a sharp wit, able to transform virtually any image (stock, archival, new) into an expression of the Sunset brand, for use across our many channels. Alongside the ongoing creation of assets, you’ll also shepherd larger design elements of our WordPress-based website, modeling buttons and widgets, tweaking templates, and preparing us for a bigger, more ambitious redesign down the road. You’ll also help to prototype concepts for new platforms and built-if-sold campaigns and assist our creative director with print magazine duties.
- Create image and design assets for day-to-day stories, social campaigns, videos, newsletters, print magazines, promotions, and events
- Develop design treatments for new additions to Sunset.com’s articles, galleries, landing pages, newsletters, and campaigns
- Help plan and guide an ambitious redesign of Sunset digital
- Assist Creative Director with editorial designs and updating pages for bimonthly print magazine
- Work with Digital and Sales teams to conceptualize look and feel for campaigns (e.g. Travel Awards, Best of the West of the Week, Sunset Idea House 2019, etc.).
- Help source imagery from a broad array of libraries, illustrators, and freelancers to create a unique look
- Five years’ digital design experience
- Proven work on a CMS-based, lifestyle-focused site
- Ability to think systematically about how assets are created and used across multiple platforms
- Great typography skills, knowledge of usability and UX best practices
- Expert knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (especially Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign) and Sketch or Figma
- Familiarity with HTML/CSS and WordPress
- Experience with video (editing, storyboarding, shooting, conceptualizing) a plus