Sunlight Financial is a leading national platform for residential solar and energy storage lending. The company partners with solar and battery installers, equipment distributors and sales organizations nationwide to help homeowners save money. Sunlight’s best in class technology and deep credit expertise simplify and streamline consumer finance, enabling solar companies to quickly provide homeowners with opportunities for economic savings and environmental benefits. For more information, visit www.sunlightfinancial.com.
Sunlight Financial LLC is seeking a Compliance Manager with a consumer finance compliance background applied in context of a consumer financial products/transactional practice. This position presents a great opportunity for an individual to get in on the ground floor of a fast growing, dynamic company that is currently in the process of diversifying its business platform This position will be a part of a five person Legal and Compliance Department and will report directly to the Associate General Counsel - Head of Compliance. Sunlight has offices in New York, NY and in Charlotte, NC.
This position will be in Charlotte, NC or New York, NY.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Advise on full array of Federal and state regulatory and compliance issues relevant to the company, including providing guidance on Federal and state lending laws, including state licensing.
- Develop and maintain compliance policies, procedures and practices across a broad range of consumer protection laws and practices, including BSA/AML, OFAC, Fair Lending/ECOA FCRA, GLB, UDAAP, vendor management, personal data protection and privacy, TCPA, MLA and other commercial finance laws and regulations.
- Continue to develop and to work with internal business leaders and department managers to support and report on the company’s compliance testing and monitoring program.
- Manage compliance audit and other requests received from our external constituents (such as capital partners and regulators).
- Manage the compliance related professional development and training program for all employees.
- Monitor and report on compliance program adherence and issues to the Associate General Counsel and legal team.
- Maintain proactive, vigilant and strategic awareness of changing legislative, legal and compliance issues affecting the industry and company; remain current and advise on changing compliance requirements, emerging trends and potential effects on company policies, practices and processes.
- Other matters at the discretion of the AGC.
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in an inhouse legal or compliance department, preferably in banking, specialty finance or related industries. While a law degree would be viewed as a plus by the company, non-attorney candidates will be considered.
- The candidate should have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong knowledge of lending laws and regulations, including BSA/AML, Fair Lending/ECOA, FCRA, GLB and UDAAP, and experience managing compliance management systems, policies and procedures with respect to the same.
- Expertise in the design and implementation of compliance systems, processes, practices and controls.
- Excellent analytical and consultative skills: detail-oriented; strong issue-spotter; ability to grasp new concepts quickly, synthesize complex information effectively, and communicate complicated issues clearly and simply to present clear and actionable choices and recommendations; creative problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrates sound judgment; comfortable dealing with ambiguity; weighs options and alternatives in a timely and effective manner.
- Thrives in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment; highly motivated, self-starter with strong work ethic.
- An effective and accountable team member and value-added business contributor, who nurtures close ties and collaborates effectively with colleagues to achieve business objectives, not merely a compliance advisor.
- A results-driven, self-starter possessing exemplary leadership, communication, collaboration and influencing skills.
- Collaborative team-player who is able to find creative and practical solutions in a dynamic work environment.
- Ability to work and lead under pressure, exhibiting timely decision making, and with a sense of humor and balance.
- Ability to handle ambiguity, juggle multiple matters at once, and quickly and seamlessly shift from one situation or task to another.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Sunlight provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Sunlight complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Sunlight expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Sunlight’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge