Sundae’s mission is to help homeowners get the best outcome when it’s time to sell a house that needs some love. For too long, the process for selling outdated and damaged houses has been terrible for sellers. Local property investors capitalize on homeowner distress to purchase houses cheap and resell them for huge profits.
Sundae is putting more of those profits back in the hands of the homeowner. We’ve developed a model to predict when sellers will need our help, and a best-in-class sales and marketing team to reach them and a trusted brand that allows us to grow even faster through word of mouth and referrals. With scale and efficiency we’re able to redistribute economic value to sellers in the form of the most competitive price so that Sundae can become the largest buyer of homes that need love in the United States.
We are a Founders Fund backed company with product-market fit, scaling revenue, and a massive addressable market opportunity. Our team is comprised of seasoned leaders from real estate and marketplace businesses and with significant high-growth company experience (Airbnb, Dropbox, Chime, LendingHome).
Joining Sundae means being part of the team that’s bringing compassion and transparency to the business of helping homeowners sell in their time of need. If you’re driven by making a positive impact in people’s lives and want to support our mission, we’d love to hear from you.
About the Role
If redefining a category in one of the largest industries in the world gets you excited, keep reading.
If helping people in a difficult situation who are currently being taken advantage by incumbents gets you excited, keep reading.
As Director of Engineering at Sundae you will lead the technical direction, architecture and execution of projects ranging from customer acquisition efficiency, to sales and operations productivity, to marketplace health and sustainability. You will build a team of like-minded engineers with a passion for our mission and the challenging technical projects that stand in our way. You will collaborate with teammates from around the organization to develop solutions that delight our customers and team members alike. An ideal candidate for this role has proven their ability to deliver results, question the status quo, seeks the truth regardless of how elusive it may be, and respects and influences those they work with.
- Develop an intimate understanding of our customers and the problems they face when selling a home that needs from love.
- Architect a technology vision, strategy, and roadmap, and lead the technology team and its business partners in effective execution.
- Choose the right technology stack for Sundae to support all areas of the business, with an emphasis on marketing/acquisition.
- Establish tools and frameworks to run usability and A/B tests for our digital properties (web, mobile, email).
- Design and implement optimization tests across our end-to-end customer funnel (from acquisition through lifecycle retention).
- Establish and manage tools to gain insights on customer behavior data to influence and support our product development, marketing and technology strategies and tactics.
- Build strong relationships with business groups and their leaders across the company, and develop a detailed understanding of their issues, challenges and opportunities.
- Hire, train, develop and appraise staff to build a high performing team.
- Contribute to all phases of software development including ideation, prototyping, design and implementation. Aim for 50% hands-on development and 50% lead/architecture work.
- 8+ years of track record in building and delivering high quality software systems
- You have experience assessing different technologies and choosing the right one for the business.
- Direct experience building technology solutions that enable growth and excellence across a business’ marketing, sales, operations, marketplace needs.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written; able to articulate ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Able to work collaboratively with diverse leaders, communicate a tech vision and strategy across all levels of the organization, and build consensus around key initiatives and projects.
- Strong commitment to a team approach, and awareness of team and individual success dependencies.
- Proactive problem solver, presents problems and recommendations simultaneously.
- Self-motivated, highly-driven, independent, and results-oriented. Ability to work within a fast-paced environment.
- Bachelors degree or higher in Computer Sc. or related field
- Instituted consistent cultural choices that positively impact all of engineering
- Exceptional coding skills
- Experience with growth engineering is a plus
Compensation & Benefits
- Opportunity to revolutionize the real-estate industry with a mission to help those in need
- Scale with a rapidly growing organization, with tons of opportunity for growth
- Work with a team of fun and motivated individuals in a highly collaborative culture
- Competitive cash salary and compelling equity package based on experience, with medical and dental benefits
At Sundae we strive to build a workforce comprised of individuals with diverse backgrounds, abilities, minds, and identities that will help us to grow, not only as a company, but also as individuals. Sundae is an Equal Opportunity Employer