We are the leading mobile point-of-sale (mPOS) company in Europe. We started out 6 years ago and built our payment service from scratch to shake up the industry and wake up the entrepreneur within anyone. We created a unique device that allows small merchants to accept card payments anywhere. Our vision as a global FinTech company is to build the first-ever global card acceptance brand, and we are well on our way as small businesses in over 31 countries around the world rely on SumUp to get paid.
We are looking for strong candidates that have interest in helping us get there and building great products along the way. If you feel like one of these people, our office in Berlin is hiring for the position of a Senior Android Developer.
What you’ll do in this role
You’ll shape the core experience of merchants who are using the Android App on a daily basis.
In the first few weeks, you'll dive into the code and learn how to create clean, composable components in our codebase. You'll use this knowledge to start developing and refining features. You'll learn how we write tests, how we manage bluetooth communication, and how we keep performance tip-top.
In the first three months, you'll develop major features that impact our merchant base. You'll work closely with product and design departments to build features that are maintainable, usable, and beautiful. You'll help us re-think problems we've solved before in a different way as requirements evolve.
By the end of your first year, you'll have a wealth of knowledge about our complex problem domain, as well as its implications in the interface and in the backend – and how to manage it in a clean way. You'll have launched numerous features in the Android App as well as in the Android SDK.
You will fit in perfectly to our team if:
- You're familiar with Java and the Android framework (knowledge of command line is a plus). You have basics knowledge about testing.
- You strive for clean code, but also know how to make your "shortcuts" easy to delete in a crunch.
- You're not afraid to use Google or ask for help when something is beyond your grasp.
- Technology excites you and you strive to learn something new on a daily basis!
What We Offer?
- The Mobile Team: You'll be with people who care about mutual learning, keeping our technical knowledge up-to-date, and discussing ideas that contribute to not only the company's success but keeping everyone well-rounded and hands-on
- Budget for attending conferences and advancing your career. We encourage you to speak at conferences and give talks
- We have a close, welcoming and international community. We get together regularly for brunches, cocktail nights, football and office parties
- Free German & Yoga classes
- Running & Soccer teams + Urban Sports Club membership (subsidised)
- Weekly Lunch and Learn session, where the local engineering team exchanges ideas over company-sponsored lunch
- Semi-annual off-sites, where the tech teams from Berlin, Sofia, and São Paulo gather together. In the past we've gone to Bulgaria and Greece and a castle in the German countryside
- SumUp Corporate Pension Scheme
- All the startup swag you expect: kicker table, unlimited drinks & fruits
SumUp is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. SumUp does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age or any other basis protected by applicable laws or prohibited by Company policy. SumUp also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind.