Our SumUp office in Berlin is looking to hire for the position of Web Architect.
In this role, you'll work with members of small cross-functional team to build tools that help engineers deliver their features with speed and quality. The work you do will impact engineers working on the web across different products and applications across the company. You'll collaborate with peers in Product, Design, QA, and Operations to get the big picture and craft a technical vision for the Web Platform that supports both the technical and product strategy of the company.
On the tech side, we work on a number of different projects that span technologies, systems, and processes. A few of the technologies we're leveraging at SumUp include React, Webpack, GraphQL, Apollo, Jest, Enzyme, Storybook, Next.js, Emotion, NodeJS, and Docker.
You'll fit in perfectly to our team if:
- You're passionate about clean, maintainable code as much as staying pragmatic.
- You strive to balance the needs of the business with sustainable technical solutions.
- You recognize the importance of the human aspect of software development.
- You love to mentor others and share your knowledge, and are also open to learning something from people with less experience than you.
- You care about creating an inclusive environment for all kinds of people.
- You find it exciting to work in a high-growth environment with both immediate challenges as well as massive potential.
- You're not afraid to be hands-on in the code and support individual teams as needed.
- You see yourself as a servant leader whose ultimate mission is to help teams thrive.
Hundreds of thousands of business owners rely on SumUp to drive their business. Your job is to set the technical foundations and direction that will empower teams to deliver on our promise to help those businesses grow and succeed. Here are some of the things you'll be doing at SumUp.
- Drive the technical vision for the Web Platform at SumUp and drive its adoption, including test strategy, architecture, best practices, coding standards.
- Lead a team of web experts on strategic projects that support this vision.
- Consult developers on the software design of their larger features.
- Focus your efforts on building or improving technical foundations that support quality, stability, and efficient parallel development.
- Write and maintain clear and understandable documentation.
- Collaborate closely with the developers who are using what you build on a daily basis to gather input and create a strong feedback loop where they can also contribute.
- Coordinate with your peers in Product, QA, and Operations to successfully deliver impactful cross-team projects.
- Work on projects ranging from pure UI (e.g. our design system) to application-level tools (e.g. monitoring and tracking libraries) to cross-cutting architectural implementation (e.g. independent deployment of frontend components).
- Participate in the hiring process by assessing the technical skills of candidates via technical interviews and/or pair programming.
- Small number of direct reports (1:1s, coaching, feedback, performance assessment).
Do not worry if you don't meet 100% of our requirements, we are looking for the best overall fit for this role.
- 10+ years of experience, with time both writing code as an individual contributor and leading a larger technical team (10-15 developers or more)
- Diverse experience working in different environments, team setups, tech stacks
- Deep technical knowledge of the web stack, as well as how to apply general software engineering principles to the web context
- Strong understanding of testing: how to write good tests and crafting a web platform-wide test strategy
- Ability to anticipate how developers are likely to use the tools you build, potential issues with your documentation, APIs, or abstractions.
- Passion for mentoring junior developers into strong technical talents
- Mindset towards scalability without over-engineering based on current challenges
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely in written and verbal English
- Strongly preferred: Meaningful experience in DevOps (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes, Jenkins, AWS, etc.) and/or meaningful experience in backend technologies (e.g. backend programming languages, databases, server-side performance, Linux, etc.).
- A dedicated annual budget for attending conferences and advancing your career through further education. We encourage you to speak at conferences and give talks.
- Lunch and Learn sessions, where the local engineering team exchanges ideas over company-sponsored lunch.
- Dedicated time every week for side-projects and open source initiatives. We set aside every other Friday as a day for everyone to hack on their passion projects.
- Semi-annual offsites, where the engineering teams from Berlin, Cologne, Sofia, and São Paulo gather together.
- We have a close, welcoming and international community. We get together regularly for brunches, cocktail nights, football, office events, AMA sessions, training, German classes, and yoga classes.
- Numerous other benefits such as Urban Sports Club subsidy, Corporate Pension Scheme, Kita placement assistance, relocation assistance, 2x per week subsidized office lunches, and a gorgeous place to work in the heart of Berlin at Alexanderplatz.
Regarding your application
We're looking forward to meeting our next teammate! You'll be asked to provide the following information when you apply:
- How did you hear about this role?
- Please describe a larger technical challenge you tackled through a team that you led. What was the challenge, what issues did you face, what was your contribution, and what was the outcome? What would you do differently next time?
You can also choose whether to include a CV, a link to your Xing/LinkedIn, a link to your GitHub, tech blog, or portfolio – whatever you think will give us the complete picture!
Please provide your answers to these questions in English (as well as your CV, if provided). We're an international company, and English is our business language!
If you want to know what it’s like to work at SumUp, check out our careers page at https://sumup.com/careers.
We are looking forward to receiving your application!