Our SumUp office in Berlin is looking to hire for the position of Senior Frontend Engineer - Web Platform.
In this role, you'll work with members of small cross-functional team to build tools that help engineers deliver their features with speed and quality. The work you do will impact engineers working on the web across different products and applications across the company. You'll collaborate with peers in Product, Design, QA, and Operations to get the big picture and work with other developers and Web Architect to build tools, integrations, libraries, and infrastructure that support both the technical and product strategy of the company.
On the tech side, we work on a number of different projects that span technologies, systems, and processes. A few of the technologies we're leveraging at SumUp include React, Webpack, GraphQL, Apollo, Jest, Enzyme, Storybook, Next.js, Emotion, NodeJS, and Docker.
You'll fit in perfectly to our team if:
- You not only love coding, but also take the time to reflect on the benefits and drawbacks of your tools, be the frameworks, languages, or processes.
- You strive to balance the needs of the business with sustainable technical solutions.
- You know what to test, why to test it, and how to write meaningful tests.
- You have experience with or interest in Functional Programming techniques.
- You know how to make pragmatic programming decisions in a complex codebase.
- You love to mentor others and share your knowledge, and are also open to learning something from people with less experience than you.
- You find it exciting to work in a high-growth environment with both immediate challenges as well as massive potential.
- You care about user interaction, performance, usability, and of course – making the interface beautiful and accessible.
- In general, technology excites you and you strive to learn something on a daily basis!
What you'll do
Hundreds of thousands of business owners rely on SumUp to drive their business. Here are some of the things you'll be doing at SumUp.
- Build tools that bolster the productivity of developers working on the web at SumUp by evaluating their needs and developing sharable cross-team solutions
- Collaborate closely with the developers who are using what you build on a daily basis to gather input and create a strong feedback loop where they can also contribute
- Focus your efforts on building or improving technical foundations that support quality, stability, and efficient parallel development
- Coordinate with your peers in Product, QA, and Operations to successfully deliver impactful cross-team projects
- Work on projects ranging from pure UI (e.g. our design system) to application-level tools (e.g. monitoring and error tracking libraries) to cross-cutting architectural implementation (e.g. independent deployment of frontend components).
- 6+ years development experience in various contexts, applications, and tech stacks
- Deep technical knowledge of the web stack, as well as how to apply general software engineering principles to the web context
- Strong understanding of testing and the tools surrounding testing on the web
- Ability to anticipate how developers are likely to use the tools you build, potential issues with your documentation, APIs, or abstractions.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely in written and verbal English
- Experience mentoring and training junior developers
- Strongly preferred: Meaningful experience in DevOps (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes, Jenkins, AWS, etc.) and/or meaningful experience in backend technologies (e.g. backend programming languages, databases, server-side performance, etc.) or willingness to learn.
- A dedicated annual budget for attending conferences and advancing your career through further education. We encourage you to speak at conferences and give talks.
- Weekly Lunch and Learn session, where the local engineering team exchanges ideas over company-sponsored lunch.
- Dedicated time every week for side-projects and open source initiatives.
- Semi-annual offsites, where the engineering teams from Berlin, Cologne, Sofia, and São Paulo gather together.
- We have a close, welcoming and international community. We get together regularly for brunches, cocktail nights, football, office events, AMA sessions, training, German classes, and yoga classes.
- Numerous other benefits such as Urban Sports Club subsidy, Corporate Pension Scheme, Kita placement assistance, relocation assistance, 2x per week subsidized office lunches, and a gorgeous place to work in the heart of Berlin at Alexanderplatz.
Regarding your application
We're looking forward to meeting our next teammate! You'll be asked to provide the following information when you apply:
- Why you think you'd be a good fit for this position.
- One of your favorite coding challenges you encountered in the last two years: what was it about, how you tackled it, and what you learned. Technical details encouraged!
You can also choose whether to include a CV, a link to your Xing/LinkedIn, a link to your GitHub, tech blog, or portfolio – whatever you think will give us the complete picture!
Please provide your answers to these questions in English (as well as your CV, if possible). We're an international company, and English is our business language!
If you want to know what it’s like to work at SumUp, check out our careers page at https://sumup.com/careers.
We are looking forward to receiving your application!