At SumUp, we are driven to empower small businesses across the globe by de-hassling their lives and helping them to succeed. Our vision as a global FinTech company is to build the first-ever global card acceptance brand, and we are well on our way as small businesses in over 31 countries around the world rely on SumUp to get paid. To get there, we are putting together an awesome team that is committed to one another and to our merchants. You could be our missing link! Help us bring card acceptance to the masses!
Our boldness, startup mindset, empathy and love for product foster a creative environment for our employees. We value an entrepreneurial spirit and seek to build lasting relationships among our employees. We know that a diverse and inclusive workforce keeps us competitive and provides opportunities for all. We believe that together we can help small businesses grow.
We are currently looking for a Senior Data Engineer, who would help us to build a scalable data platform for analytics and data science applications, and bring new knowledge and experience to the team.
A day in the life of a Data Engineer at SumUp
A normal day in a data engineer’s life at Sumup is full of challenging and exciting tasks. Let it start with a warm cup of coffee, be social with colleagues before digging in, or check emails and notifications for the status of ETL jobs and data flows. Solving complex data problems is by nature at the heart of our job. Facing compound business logic when adjusting a measure in an OLAP cube? Search confluence pages or just talk to analysts/operations to solve the puzzle fast. How to improve query performance? How can we synchronize databases in real-time? Strong DevOps skills are always handy, allow you to move fast, and if you get stuck, at Sumup there are always strong sysadmins around the globe willing to give you a hand. You, like the rest of the team, can have a huge impact on the whole company. Adding new data to analytical models or the data platform, optimizing data flows to our CRM system just by 1 minute, – so that we can reach our merchants immediately after her single transaction fails and provide help. Be part of the leading payment provider which offers experience like no other on the market.
To support and grow our merchant base, we also participate in data science and innovation projects, our latest effort here is natural language processing used to classify user generated messages in order to reduce the workload of our support agents. It is the world of data, we have plenty of it and we want to tap into it more and more! What distributed database to use for BI, what infrastructure is powerful and efficient for development and data science – you will have your voice here.
When you work as a data engineer at SumUp, you are relevant. The decisions you take have direct effect on business. The flat organizational structure, collaboration in autonomous squads empower and enable experts for great achievements and personal development. We don’t embrace micro-management, but trust our experts to make their own decisions. Learning, experimentation, trial and errors are encouraged and part of everyday life.
We do a lot on AWS, using Docker, Kubernetes, Postgres and Redshift. If you can build robust data pipelines with Python, have deep expertise with relational databases such as Postgres, experience in the development of distributed analytical platforms, are responsible and communicative, or if you are simply the smart creative type that wants to become all that and believe you have all it takes - then we will be happy to invite you to explore SumUp :-)
- Integrate data from various third party and first party data sources (Google Analytics, Facebook, Adroll, etc.)
- Interface with product owners, engineers, BI and marketing team to translate business requirements into data pipelines.
- Design and implement data solution for marketing analytics and applications.
- Troubleshooting data discrepancies and implementing scalable solutions.
- Own product features from the requirements gathering phase through to production deployment and testing.
- Experiment with new ideas to help marketing teams scale and grow (preferably).
- 3+ years of experience
- Consistent track record of designing and implementing scalable, performant (marketing-related) data pipelines, services, and products
- Experience in building high quality software. Very good skills in Python and SQL. Scala, Spark is a plus
- Experience in developing data pipelines using Airflow
- Experience with production deployment using Docker, Kubernetes, Ansible
- Experience with cloud computing platforms (Google BigQuery, AWS)
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience in campaign optimizations, lifetime value calculation, channel attributions (preferably)
- Experience in developing data science and machine learning applications (preferably)
Why work at SumUp
- You will be part of the payments industry revolution. Globally!
- A crucial role and responsibility to drive data-managed culture in a FinTech!
- Flat hierarchies and the opportunity to have an impact, irrespective of your job description
- Our team comes from 40 different countries building a fun, international environment
- Transportation voucher or parking space
- Meal voucher
- Optional dental assistance
SumUp is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. SumUp does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age or any other basis protected by applicable laws or prohibited by Company policy. SumUp also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind.