Our SumUp office in Berlin is looking to hire for the position of Senior Frontend Engineer.
In this role, you'll work with a small cross-functional team to build tools that help hundreds of thousands of small businesses thrive. By shipping code early and often, you'll see the impact of your work on merchant's daily lives right away. You'll collaborate with experts in product, design, and operations to deliver mission-critical internal and external features that power the SumUp ecosystem.
We work on a number of different projects that span technologies, systems, and processes. A few of the technologies we're leveraging on the web at SumUp include React, Webpack, Jest, Enzyme, Storybook, Next.js, Emotion, Node.js, and Docker.
You'll fit in perfectly to our team if:
- You not only love coding, but also take the time to reflect on the benefits and drawbacks of your tools, be they frameworks, languages, or processes.
- You strive for clean code, but also know how to make your "shortcuts" easy to delete in a crunch
- You know what to test, why to test it, and how to write meaningful tests.
- You have experience with or interest in Functional Programming techniques.
- You know how to make pragmatic programming decisions in a complex codebase.
- You care about user interaction, usability, and of course – making the interface beautiful.
- In general, technology excites you and you strive to learn something on a daily basis!
Hundreds of thousands of business owners rely on SumUp to drive their business. You'll shape some of their core experiences: from their first impression on our website, to the web-based features that make them loyal to our platform. Here are some of the things you'll be doing at SumUp.
- Work with a cross-functional team to ship code multiple times per week.
- Develop new features and components in our public website, built with Next.js (a framework for server-side rendered React).
- Refine the full stack of the website, from CI/CD tooling, to test automation, building features, running experiments, and monitoring and production support.
- Collaborate with product and design departments to build maintainable, usable, and beautiful features.
- Share your knowledge with other developers through pair programming and receive mentorship in return.
- Take initiative in pushing projects forward, while validating and communicating your ideas with the team.
- Help us continue to develop our open-source projects and culture.
- Assist in hiring and recruiting efforts to continue to build the team.
Here are some of the things you could be working on at SumUp:
- Our public website, built with React and Next.js and modern tooling (Emotion, Prettier, Jest, React Testing Library). Today we enable our marketing, business development, and communications teams to build custom pages with React components. Tomorrow we are building more tools to improve editor productivity, handle our expanding product offering, and educate merchants on growing their business.
- Our design system and component library, built in React, using Emotion for CSS-in-JS. These components can be used in all our different web applications. We use Storybook as a component workbench and Docz to generate public-facing documentation.
- And many more, like our merchant-facing React app, SumUp for Developers tools, ecom gateway, open source integrations, internal applications, and greenfield projects. We also do CI with Docker and Jenkins, and run our applications on Kubernetes as well.
If you're interested in diving into the platform or getting your hands dirty with DevOps tasks, you're encouraged to extend your impact to those areas as well.
Please consider applying even if you don't meet 100% of requirements. We are looking for the best overall teammate. This profile should give you an idea of the kind of skills that will help you succeed in this role.
- Experience with building complex multi-language websites with scalability in mind
- Experience with running Node.js in production, ideally in the context of a server-side rendered React app
- Understanding of web performance and pagespeed optimization techniques
- Exposure to debugging, monitoring, and optimizing performance in Node
- Interest or experience with SEO and web accessibility
- Experience with building a performant A/B testing setup and tooling
- Enthusiasm for direct and frequent interaction with designers, product and other colleagues
- Ability to implement design specs precisely
- Ability to communicate fluently about technical topics in English
- Command line fundamentals (git, ssh, editing a file on a remote server, reading logs, etc.)
- Proactive attitude and product mindset − you own what you build!
- 5+ years of relevant professional experience
- A dedicated annual budget for attending conferences and advancing your career through further education. We encourage you to speak at conferences and give talks.
- Weekly Lunch and Learn session, where the local engineering team exchanges ideas over company-sponsored lunch.
- Dedicated time every week for side-projects and open source initiatives.
- Semi-annual offsites, where the engineering teams from Berlin, Cologne, Sofia, and São Paulo gather together.
- We have a close, welcoming and international community. We get together regularly for brunches, cocktail nights, football, office events, AMA sessions, training, German classes, and yoga classes.
- Numerous other benefits such as Urban Sports Club subsidy, Corporate Pension Scheme, Kita placement assistance, relocation assistance, and a gorgeous place to work in the heart of Berlin at Alexanderplatz.
Regarding your application
We're looking forward to meeting our next teammate! You'll be asked to provide the following information when you apply:
- Why you think you'd be a good fit for this position.
- One of your favorite coding challenges you encountered in the last two years: what was it about, how you tackled it, and what you learned. Technical details encouraged!
You can also choose whether to include a CV, a link to your Xing/LinkedIn, a link to your GitHub, tech blog, or portfolio – whatever you think will give us the complete picture!
Please provide your answers to these questions in English (as well as your CV, if possible). We're an international company, and English is our business language!
If you want to know what it’s like to work at SumUp, check out our careers page at https://sumup.com/careers.
We are looking forward to receiving your application!
We are the leading global mobile point-of-sale (mPOS) company, with major offices in Berlin, Sofia, and São Paulo. We started out five years ago and built our payment service from scratch to shake up the industry and wake up the entrepreneur within everyone. We created a unique device that pairs with the smartphone in your pocket, allowing small merchants to accept card payments anywhere. Beyond our original hardware, mobile and web apps, we have gone on to develop a suite of APIs and SDKs for integrating SumUp payments into other apps and services. We recently launched a brand new contactless device, which makes paying by card easier than ever before! If you think you've got what it takes to reshape the payments industry — join us.