At SumUp, we are driven to empower small businesses across the globe by de-hassling their lives and helping them to succeed. Our vision as a global FinTech company is to build the first-ever global card acceptance brand, and we are well on our way as small businesses in over 31 countries around the world rely on SumUp to get paid. To get there we are putting together an awesome team that is committed to one another and to our merchants. You could be our missing link! Help us bring card acceptance to the masses!
Our boldness, startup mindset, empathy and love for product foster a creative environment for our employees. We value an entrepreneurial spirit and seek to build lasting relationships among our employees. We know that a diverse and inclusive workforce keeps us competitive and provides opportunities for all. We believe that together we can help small businesses grow.
Your impact at SumUp
You’ll shape the core experience of merchants who are using the Android App on a daily basis.
In the first few weeks, you'll dive into the code and learn how to create clean, composable components in our codebase. You'll use this knowledge to start developing and refining features. You'll learn how we write tests and how we keep performance tip-top.
In the first three months, you'll develop major features that impact our merchant base. You'll work closely with product and design departments to build features that are maintainable, usable and beautiful. You'll help us re-think problems we've solved before in a different way as needs evolve.
By the end of your first year, you'll have a wealth of knowledge about our complex problem domain, as well as its implications in the interface and in the backend – and how to manage it in a clean way. You'll have launched numerous features in the Android App as well as in the Android SDK.
We have several teams that you can be part of. Here are short descriptions for each one of them:
*Smart Customer Touchpoints*
Smart Customer Touchpoints team is part of SumUp Product & Engineering Department. Its main focus is development of tools and solutions which facilitate the communication process with SumUp users (merchants) and vice versa. Some examples are implementation of different chatbot solutions, integration of 3rd party platforms, providing different messaging services such as WhatsApp or Viber, AI integrations etc. Other aspects include working on integrations with SumUp CRM system (Salesforce for example).
Integration process is focused on technical development of particular solution/s and also how this implementation will impact user interface of SumUp products - mobile and web apps.
Main peers of the team are all departments, related to merchants' interactions such as Operations, Customer Support, Onboarding etc.
*Activation & Payments Self-service*
As an Android/iOS Developer joining the Activation & Payments self-service squad, you will be a key contributor in building a seamless onboarding experience for our merchants and creating intuitive and accessible payments related features and products. Our squad fosters a collaborative and creative environment where we problem-solve together and come up with products that merchants love.
If you are looking for an opportunity which will bring you new and exciting challenges and you’re up for creating solutions that impact thousands of merchants on a global scale, then we should talk!
*Card Issuing team*
As an Android/iOS Developer joining the SumUp Card issuing squad you will have a unique chance to be integral part in building a new product from the ground up. We are a cross functional team unified behind a single mission: Create a card that our merchants will fall in love with. The SumUp Card is a way to solve fundamental challenges faced by small business owners like instant availability of funds and transparent overview of business transactions, packaged in a slick design. … And that's just the beginning… the SumUp Card will allow us to develop countless amazing features to create wow experience for our merchants for years to come! As part of cross functional and autonomous team you will be engaged in conception of the ideas and turning them into features, empowering small merchants across the globe. If you share our passion for changing status quo by building revolutionary products in an agile way, then this is a perfect place for you!
You will fit in perfectly to our team if:
- You're comfortable with Java and the Android framework (iOS knowledge would be a plus). You also know how to get things done on the command line.
- You know what to test, why to test it, and how to write flexible tests that won't break.
- You care about user interaction, usability, and of course, making the interface beautiful.
- You strive for clean code, but also know how to make your "shortcuts" easy to delete in a crunch.
- You love coding and take the time to reflect on all aspects of your implementation, be it the frameworks, languages or processes.
- You're not afraid to use Google or ask for help when something is beyond your grasp.
- Your precise communication skills make working in a distributed team effective and efficient.
- Technology excites you and you strive to learn something new on a daily basis!
- The Mobile Team: You'll be with people who care about mutual learning, keeping our technical knowledge up-to-date, and discussing ideas that contribute to not only the company's success but keeping everyone well-rounded and hands-on.
- Opportunity to attend tech meetups and conferences with the team (especially if you're giving a talk)
- Flat hierarchies and the opportunity to have an impact, irrespective of your job description.
- Opportunity to be a partner with SumUp in achieving its goal to becoming the first global card acceptance brand.
- A startup work environment, passionate, collaborative and results oriented
- Empowerment of employees to fulfil their role in the organisation.
- Open workspace environment
- Office relaxation activities such as yoga and massages
- We get together regularly for brunches, cocktail nights, football and office parties.
- Team Building activities touring in the different SumUp sites globally
- 23 days paid vacation + 1 accumulative day for each year of employment at SumUp
- Additional health insurance
- Hackathon Events
We are looking forward to meeting our next teammate! In the application form, you will be asked for the following:
- Tell us about one of your favourite coding challenges you encountered in the last two years: what it was about, how you tackled it, and what you learned. Technical details encouraged!
- What is the most interesting tool, technique, practice or language you learned in the last 12 months? How did you find out about it? How did you apply your learning? 2-3 paragraphs are sufficient, but we're happy to read more if it's required to thoroughly describe your approach to learning.
- How did you hear about this position (LinkedIn, SumUp Career page, StackOverflow, etc.)?
If you want to know what it’s like to work at SumUp check our careers page at https://sumup.com/careers.
If there's something you'd like to ask, feel free to get in touch.