* Role can be remote - from anywhere in Poland
We are a cloud-native SaaS machine data analytics platform, solving complex monitoring problems for DevOps, SecOps and ITOps teams. Our customers, including Airbnb, Twitter, BBC and Toyota, choose our solution because it allows them to easily monitor and optimise their large scale applications.
Our micro services architecture in AWS ingests hundreds of TB daily across many geographic regions. We also have short release cycles and no legacy versions to maintain. We write in Scala and use open-source technologies such as Kafka, Kubernetes and Cassandra.
As a Site Reliability Engineer you will work towards enhancing the reliability of Sumo Logic product. Our customers rely not only on a rich feature set of the product but also on it being always available - often it’s their primary tool for maintaining their own software.
The SRE team is unique in Sumo Logic as it doesn’t own any product service, you will work towards the whole codebase of the Sumo Logic product. You will identify the weakest links in either reliability or performance, research and benchmark possible improvements, and implement solutions in cooperation with the owning teams. You will not focus narrowly, there’s a broad spectrum of topics and projects you might get involved in. You will not operate the software, but create tools for other teams to increase visibility, observability, and scalability of Sumo Logic services.
As a Senior Site Reliability Engineer you will:
- Deal with software which processes data at a huge scale
- Identify reliability improvement areas based on past evidence of production incidents
- Program in Scala
- Research, benchmark, optimise and implement solutions aiming at improving the performance and reliability of our product
- Work with other teams in Sumo Logic Engineering to increase the observability of their services, share reliability knowledge, automate toil, improve their tooling and replace manual processes
- SLI (Service Level Indicator) monitoring
- Performance measurements and visualisation tooling (perf, ebpf, flamegraphs)
- Configuration as Code
- Optimising usage of cloud services (AWS)
- At least BSc in Computer Science or related field
- 3+ (Mid) / 6+ (Senior) / 9+ (Staff) years of professional experience
- Good coding skills in any language. Object oriented languages are preferred
- Strong troubleshooting skills in complex systems
- Ability to rapidly learn new software, frameworks, open source tools and development languages
- Strong knowledge of large-scale internet service architecture (e.g. load balancing)
- Strong understanding of Unix and TCP/IP fundamentals
Ideally you also have:
- Experience with performance, scalability, and reliability issues of 24x7 commercial services
- Proficiency with the Amazon AWS ecosystem
- Self-driven and being proactive
- Configuration and maintenance of common infrastructure such as Apache ZooKeeper, HAProxy
- Experience working in a test-driven environment
Why it’s worth applying:
- Great salary - employment contract (65% authorship costs).
- Strong engineering teams.
- Stock (RSU) grant.
- $2000 / year education budget + 2 extra days off.
- 4 extra days off in 2022 (Sumo Wellness Days).
- Hack weeks and tech talks.
- Private healthcare for you and your family.
- Medical and life insurance.
- Sports card.
- WFH budget.
- Lunch budget.
- Individual English lessons with a native speaker.
- You can work from the office, 100% remotely or in a hybrid model.