Associate General Counsel, Commercial
Location of role: Redwood City, CA
Reporting directly to the General Counsel, Sumo Logic is seeking an experienced and highly motivated attorney to lead Sumo Logic’s growing commercial legal team.
An adaptable individual who enjoys variety, collaborative conversations proposing concrete business solutions, synthesizing information from various teams, and building out infrastructure will thrive in our Legal team. This role centers on negotiating and closing a variety of commercial transactions, including our customer and partner arrangements; navigating privacy regulations and information security documentation; and leading the commercial legal team.
In the past you’ve had success: (1) managing multiple projects/deals (directly and through your team) and driving them to completion autonomously within required timeframes; (2) adopting a creative mindset of figuring stuff out even without prior (or direct) experience in that area; (3) developing trusted partnerships within your team and with key stakeholders; (4) identifying use cases that could benefit from repeatable processes and proposing what those processes could look like (and how they could be adopted), especially for commercial transactions; and (5) approaching situations, deals, and people with curiosity and willingness to learn, commit, and contribute to solving for immediate as well as long-term solutions.
- Structure, draft, and negotiate a variety of commercial transactions, including SaaS customer agreements, distribution/partner agreements, reseller agreements, professional services agreements, NDAs, DPAs, BAAs, vendor agreements, and other related agreements.
- Partner with sales, sales operations, finance, information security, customer success, and other functions to ensure efficient and effective legal support for commercial transactions while building strong relationships across all levels.
- Provide strategic legal and business advice on broad range of areas applicable to commercial transactions, including general commercial, regulatory, data protection, and intellectual property issues.
- Manage developing substantive issues for SaaS companies and the practical implications of such issues on Sumo Logic and for specific sets of customers.
- Continuously evolve the commercial legal function, by identifying opportunities to centralize knowledge and creating scalable processes to increase visibility and expedite communication, alignment, and execution.
- Oversee the implementation of our contracts management system.
- Create sales enablement materials to support our sales team on negotiation best practices and relevant legal issues, by providing training and ongoing education.
- Train, mentor, and manage other members of the commercial team.
- Licensed to practice law in the State of California.
- Experience working in-house at a Technology / Software company is a MUST.
- Minimum 10+ years of commercial transactions experience, including extensive experience working in-house with sales and negotiating SaaS and enterprise B2B transactions.
- Team player with strong business acumen and attention to detail, and who recognizes that this role is about doing as well as people managing.
- Excellent drafting skills and ability to adapt legal requirements in balanced, creative and pragmatic ways, consistent with company objectives, policies, and processes.
- Excellent negotiator, able to effectively navigate issues externally and internally, with proven ability to influence.
- Clear and concise communication skills and strong interpersonal skills.
- Working knowledge of privacy, data security, and revenue recognition principles.
- Well-organized with the ability to set and successfully manage competing priorities, while delivering quality work.
- Flexibility and appetite to work on a broad variety of contracts and projects.
- Highly motivated self-starter, who excels in a fast-paced, time pressured and demanding environment.
About Us: https://app.box.com/v/SLGeneralDossier
· What we do:
We are a cloud-native SaaS machine data analytics platform, solving complex monitoring problems for DevOps, SecOps and ITOps teams. Customers love our product because it allows them to easily monitor and optimize their mission critical, large scale applications.
· Massive Scale:
Our microservices architecture in AWS ingests hundreds of terabytes daily across many geographic regions. Millions of queries a day analyze hundreds of petabytes of data.
Democratize machine data analytics through the Sumo Logic platform, bringing real-time data insights securely through the cloud.
· Funding and Growth:
We have raised $345 million in funding to date, with the most recent round being May 2019. Investors include Battery Ventures, Greylock Partners, Sutter Hill Ventures, Accel Partners, Sequoia Capital, Sapphire Ventures and DFJ Growth. Our recurring revenue and customer base are growing steadily. We serve over 2,000 customers across the globe including AirBnB, Alaska Airlines, Anheuser Busch, Hootsuite, Hearst, Hudl, Major League Baseball, Marriott, Medidata, Sauce Labs, Samsung SmartThings, SPS Commerce, Twitter, Telstra, Toyota, Zuora and more.