Sumo Logic: Staff Data Engineer
What we do:
We are a cloud-native SaaS machine data analytics platform, solving complex monitoring problems for DevOps, SecOps and ITOps teams. Customers love our product because it allows them to easily monitor and optimize their mission critical, large scale applications.
Our microservices architecture in AWS ingests hundreds of terabytes daily across many geographic regions. Millions of queries a day analyze hundreds of petabytes of data.
At Sumo Logic, we are building a data platform designed to power the analytics and investigations that are common in the Security Operation Centers of large enterprises. It is designed to accept hundreds of billions of events from security-relevant data sources (detection products, network sensors, log shippers, inventory systems) per day. It is cloud-native, with no plan to support an on-premise deployment. It is multi-tenant, and is designed to simultaneously process events from thousands of our customers. And, it is security-focused — it is designed to perform the kinds of stateful analyses that security analysts demand.
We are building this platform the way startups should — with ruthless prioritization, and with a live and demanding customer base. By joining as a Data Engineer, you have the opportunity to make our vision a reality, one feature at a time.
What You Will be Doing
- Building, improving, maintaining, and scaling stream processing services.
- Writing code. Reviewing code. Revising code.
- Giving feedback on our standards. Holding your team mates to them.
- Collaborating with teammates on major feature designs. Sometimes, you will own features, sometimes others will.
- Helping our team grow organically. We value referrals. We value your feedback on candidates.
Who You Are
- You are a software engineer. (We treat our data systems as software systems, and engineer them accordingly.)
- You love working with data. (Small data. Big data. All the data.)
- You are excited to optimize for events per second (not requests per second).
- You have experience working with (or, at minimum a desire to work with) the technologies we use: Kafka, RocksDB, ElasticSearch, JanusGraph, Postgres, Spark, HBase.
- You know (or want to write software in) Scala.
- You love collecting data about your software as much as writing software that collects data. We measure everything. We make data-driven decisions.
- You are collaborative. Nothing this hard can be accomplished by working alone. We work as a team.
- Masters in Computer Science or equivalent experience (PHD in CS is a huge plus)
Democratize machine data analytics through the Sumo Logic platform, bringing real-time data insights securely through the cloud.
Funding and Growth:
We have raised $345 million in funding to date, with the most recent round being May 2019. Investors include Battery Ventures, Greylock Partners, Sutter Hill Ventures, Accel Partners, Sequoia Capital, Sapphire Ventures and DFJ Growth. Our recurring revenue and customer base are growing steadily. We serve over 2,000 customers across the globe including Alaska Airlines, Anheuser Busch, Hootsuite, Hearst, Hudl, Major League Baseball, Marriott, Medidata, Sauce Labs, Samsung SmartThings, SPS Commerce, Twitter, Telstra, Toyota, Zuora and more.