Summit Public Schools is seeking a Communications Manager who will play an important role in supporting the advancement of the Summit Public Schools’ mission and vision. The Communications Manager will report to the Director of Government Affairs for Summit Public Schools and support strategic communications, messaging and executive communications efforts, the development of campaigns, resources and trainings to increase awareness of Summit Public Schools, our work, and the effectiveness of our model.
This is an ideal position for an individual aiming to apply their communication, project management, teamwork, and analytical skills to their passion for serving youth and education. We are looking for a self-starter who isn't afraid to take initiative and dive deeply into a new role. This position requires a team-oriented, energetic professional who is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, and with a strong willingness and desire to learn.
Who We Are:
What if all students graduated high school with not only content knowledge, but the habits and skills to successfully navigate college and career, with a sense of purpose to anchor them? This is the question at the core of Summit Public Schools. Summit is a public school system serving heterogeneous communities in the Bay Area and Washington State and operate 15 schools serving over 4,500 students.
We need exceptional, diverse, and mission-aligned leaders to join our team to help prepare our students for a fulfilled life. Join us!
What You’ll Do:
- Support the implementation of a comprehensive communications strategy designed to elevate the amazing work of Summit Public Schools students, educators, parents, and communities.
- Work closely with the Director of Government Affairs to develop messaging, mitigate crises and lead executive communications.
- Support Summit Public Schools charter renewals through cultivation of champions and raising awareness of Summit Public Schools success.
- Create and Manage Content - Maintain and update website, newsletters, fact sheets, photo/video archives, and other communications and promotional materials
- Manage Media - Develop compelling and timely social media messages and campaigns, increase social and other media engagement, cultivate relationships with journalists, write and distribute press releases and other media-related materials, field and respond to incoming media inquiries.
- Develop and conduct communications training and professional development opportunities for school leaders including in-person training sessions and on-demand webinars.
- Monitor, track, and analyze outcomes of communications strategies.
What You Need:
Key Qualities and Skills
- Commitment to uphold Summit’s values, belief that all children deserve a rigorous and equitable education that prepares them for college and for life.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- 3-4 years relevant communications experience is required; experience in education or nonprofit organizations is preferred.
- Prior experience working in crisis communications is strongly preferred.
- Prior experience working in campaign management and execution preferred
- Excellent interpersonal, writing, communication and presentation skills are required.
- Exceptional project management and organizational skills is required.
- Proficiency in Google Platforms, including Google Drive, Google Sheets, Google Docs, and Google Slides.
- Clear health and background check
- An ability to travel to Summit Public Schools across the Bay Area and Washington state.
Who You Are:
- You thrive while collaborating and are excited to work with your colleagues. You find positivity in share successes.
- You are positive and resilient in the face of big challenges.
- You have an ability to apply honest, actionable, and timely feedback that results in improved performance.
- You are empathetic and culturally competent. You’re open to having hard conversations.
- You thrive in innovative environments, and are comfortable with the ambiguity that can come with a dynamic and progressive workplace.
- You’re committed to continuous improvement, see feedback as a positive, and have a growth mindset.
- You’re a natural problem solver, and you seek out opportunities to make things better.
- You have exceptional project management and organizational skills with especially strong attention to detail.
- You are adaptable, ready to thrive in a rapidly changing environment, and can learn the skills needed to meet the organization’s needs.
- You take initiative and ownership in driving your work to meet personal and team goals.
- You possess strong relationship skills, with the ability to motivate, inspire, develop, and communicate with a diverse group of teachers, leaders, staff members, and community members.
What you get:
Summit offers competitive salaries and benefit options for full-time employees, including covering 75% of the health, dental and vision plan costs. We fully cover life and disability insurance. We have a “take what you need” PTO policy, 11 paid holidays and 3 week-long organizational closures during the year.
We strive to recruit a diverse team. Summit Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, military status, pregnancy, parenthood, citizenship status, creed, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Summit will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Spanish language proficiency is a plus.