The Director of Financial Planning and Analysis will will play a critical role in strategically building and leading a scalable, efficient finance organization to serve the needs of an organization with an $80 million budget that is poised to continue growing significantly over the next several years. The ideal candidate is a systems thinker, is results-oriented, excels at critical thinking and has exceptional financial analysis and budgeting skills.
Bringing substantial leadership and sophisticated finance experience, the Director will serve as a thought partner for the CFO and our leadership team by analyzing, forecasting and making recommendations for organizational and programmatic budgets. The Director will also develop and present crucial financial information to a wide variety of constituencies, including school-based leadership teams, Home Office team leaders, Summit’s board of directors, and numerous external partners (i.e., auditors, lenders, donors, authorizers). The Director will work with the Finance team to streamline and build new finance, budgeting and accounting systems. The candidate must be a highly motivated individual who thrives in an entrepreneurial environment and wants to positively impact the lives of students by improving K-12 public education. They will report directly to the CFO of Summit Public Schools, and will work closely with members of the Leadership Team and Program leads.
Who We Are:
Summit Public Schools is a leading charter management organization serving diverse communities in the San Francisco Bay Area and Washington State with currently 11 schools serving over 3,500 students. Summit’s mission is to ensure that every student has the opportunity to not only attend, but succeed in, a four-year college or university. Through the Summit Learning Program, we have partnered with approximately 330 schools and 2,450 teachers across 40 states, and are providing 54,230 students a truly personalized learning experience. Summit’s mission is to ensure that every student has the opportunity to not only attend, but succeed in, a four-year college or university.
Driven by our unwavering commitment to our core values, Summit works every day to ensure our students are receiving a world-class education. Summit seeks phenomenal individuals with the talents needed to transform children's lives, as well as those who are interested in working on the cutting edge of education. If you're excited by the prospect of transformative growth for yourself, as well as the students, schools, and communities we serve, Summit may be the place for you!
- 99 percent of Summit students have been accepted to one or more four-year colleges, and its graduates are completing college at double the national average
- Fast Company named Summit Public Schools a top 10 most innovative organization in education
- Three Summit schools rank among the top 100 Schools in CA by U.S. News & World Report
- The Washington Post named three of Summit schools to its annual “America’s Most Challenging High Schools” list in 2017
- Summit Sierra, in Seattle, was named one of the most innovative schools in the world
In addition to an overall focus on the aims stated above, the Director will also have specific responsibilities in the following areas:
- Lead long-term budgetary planning and cost management for the organizational and specific programs, in alignment with the organization’s vision
- Provide financial leadership across headcount planning, budgeting, forecasting, and long-range planning
- Design, lead and execute analysis and effectively communicate insights to identify and drive organizational strategy and performance
- Generate and interpret monthly financial reports for budget managers, allowing for more strategic decision-making
- Work with the CFO and Controller to improve and design new financial operations to ensure a high level of service for Summit schools and programs and to accommodate Summits growth
- Build and maintain current accounting and reporting policies while refining sound fiscal policies and processes aligned with the organization’s mission and goals
- Collaborate with the Development team to produce and monitor grant budgets
This position is based in the Bay Area, requires occasional travel throughout the Bay Area, and may require occasional travel to other regions.
Key Qualities and Skills:
- Demonstrated knowledge of and alignment with Summit Public Schools’ mission, vision and values
- Well-developed sense of integrity, with capacity to speak directly, hold teammates accountable and stand by unpopular decisions when necessary
- Strong experience with and understanding of multivariable financial planning and analysis especially in a high growth organization
- Working knowledge of accounting principles
- Skilled at analyzing, interpreting, visualizing and reporting data for diverse audiences
- Very high level of skill in Microsoft Excel, including financial analysis and modeling, and experience with advanced budget modeling, forecasting programs and accounting software
- Proven attention to detail, accuracy and timeliness in managing multiple, ongoing systems & processes
- Strong organizational and communication skills with a service oriented mentality
Ability to self-direct and prioritize among competing goals, adapt flexibly and work efficiently in an ambiguous and fast-moving entrepreneurial environment
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Master’s Degree in Finance, Mathematics or Engineering is preferred.
- 5+ years prior experience in financial analysis.
- Previous work with entrepreneurial environments, educational organizations and/or consulting is preferred.