Summit Public Schools is seeking a Community Engagement Manager in Seattle/Tacoma, Washington to support the cultivation of strong community partnerships that allows us to recruit new families. Summit is proud to be among the first public charter schools in Washington state.
The Community Engagement Manager will support Summit in raising awareness about public charter schools in the Seattle/Tacoma area and support families in understanding their school options. As we grow, Summit WA is looking to fill 450 student seats for the 2018-2019 school year.
The Community Engagement Manager’s primary responsibility will be to work with families and school leaders to ensure we operate our schools at full capacity. This would be an ideal position for an individual aiming to apply their communication, community organizing, project management and teamwork skills, to their passion for serving youth and education.
We are looking for a self-starter who isn't afraid to take initiative and dive deeply into a new role. This position requires a team-oriented, energetic professional who is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, and with a strong willingness and desire to learn.
Who We Are
Summit Public Schools, a leading charter management organization serving diverse communities in the San Francisco Bay Area and Washington State, operates 11 schools enrolling over 3,000 students. The mission of Summit Public Schools is to prepare a diverse student population for success in college, career and life, and to be thoughtful, contributing members of society. Summit leverages their work to have broader impact on public education in America.Driven by our unwavering commitment to our core values, Summit works every day to ensure our students are receiving a world-class education. We seek phenomenal individuals with the talents needed to transform children's lives, as well as those who are interested in working on the cutting edge of education. If you're excited by the prospect of transformative growth for yourself, as well as the students, schools, and communities we serve, Summit may be the place for you!`
- 99% of Summit graduates have been accepted to one or more four-year colleges, and they are completing college at double the national average
- Fast Company named Summit Public Schools a top 10 most innovative organization in education
- Our two flagship schools, Summit Prep and Everest, are named among US News & World Report's Best High Schools of 2015, and also ranked among America's Most Challenging High Schools by the Washington Post
- Our founding students at both Washington schools more than doubled the national average for growth in math, and outperformed the national average by 20 percent or more in reading, according to the nationally normed Measures of Academic Progress (MAP) assessment.
- Summit Sierra was named one of the most innovative schools in the world.
The Community Engagement Manager’s primary responsibilities will include:
- Generate awareness & engagement from prospective families and community organizations in local communities
- Deeply understand communities and prospective families of Summit schools in the Seattle/Tacoma area
- Lead on marketing and advertising initiatives to generate awareness in local communities (i.e., flyering, print ads, direct mail, Google Adwords, etc.)
- Develop, update, and order recruitment collateral and swag
- Outreach to high-potential community organizations, feeder schools, and community leaders, and potentially host tours on campus
- Canvass at community events, retailers, community organizations to generate interest from prospective families
- Manage programs to generate and promote referrals among families
- Ensure websites and social media (i.e., Facebook, NextDoor) showcase recruitment events and information
- Support collection and analysis of data from recruitment tactics to determine efficacy and optimizations
- Support development of resources & trainings for recruitment
- Support Operations Managers with Parent, & Student Ambassador recruitment trainings
- Manage Parent Ambassador & Student Ambassador recruitment program
- Develop and/or contribute to recruitment resources & toolkits (i.e., event experiences, templates, scripts, etc.) that codifies best practices and learnings
- New Student Recruitment
- Manage recruitment systems to track interest and applications
- Research community events and organize Summit involvement
- Support coordination of sector-wide recruitment events with other charter leaders
- Develop marketing materials and written communication
- Contact and follow-up with prospective families throughout different stages in the recruitment & enrollment cycle
- Send regular communications / newsletters to prospective families
- Analyze data to determine the efficacy of different recruitment events
- Meet with school leaders to coordinate and help execute school specific recruitment events.
Required Skills & Experience:
- A true passion for our organization's mission to equip all students with the skills necessary to succeed in college, career, in life
- Experience working with families and demonstrating ability to understand and meet their needs
- Experience developing resources and delivering trainings to improve knowledge and skills sets of an audience
- Experience managing multiple projects simultaneously, including managing independently
- Experience working collaboratively in cross-functional teams and across diverse stakeholders
- Experience collecting data on tactics taken and analyzing data to determine next steps
- Experience showing a proven track record of success demonstrating initiative and leadership
- Excellent interpersonal, writing, communication and presentation skills
- Outstanding organizational skills with extraordinary attention to detail
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines
- Demonstrated empathy and ability to apply understanding of an audience to deliver desired products and/or services
- Demonstrated flexibility, tenacity, resourcefulness, humility, and a growth mindset
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint
- Ability to engage productively and professionally with stakeholders who support the growing charter sector in Washington State and those who do not support the sector
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Prior family engagement experience
- Ability to converse proficiently in Spanish and write professionally in Spanish
- Experience interacting with diverse families in school settings
This job requires flexibility to attend 2-3 evening and weekend events per month. This position can be based anywhere in the Seattle/Tacoma area and requires frequent travel to both Seattle and Tacoma.
The Community Engagement Manager will report to the Director of Community Engagement.