At Summit Public Schools we believe that all students should pursue their passions. Athletics is one of many ways students can explore their passions. As a public charter school, our athletics program is a compliment to our academic programming. We are looking for an individual who is passionate about educational equity and college for all and developing young adult leadership and teamwork skills to join us as an Athletics Director (part-time). This person should recognize the role that sports and physical education play in enhancing a student’s sense of belonging to the school community.
This is a part-time role for the 2017-2018 school year. Hours are expected to be 15-20 hours per week. Travel is required between Summit Rainier and Summit Tahoma, which are located in the San Jose area, along with travel to games. Hours and travel will vary over the course of the year and will be based on need.
WHO WE ARE:
Summit’s mission is to ensure that every student has the opportunity to not only attend, but succeed in, a four-year college or university. Driven by our unwavering commitment to our core values, Summit works every day to ensure our students are receiving a world-class education. We seek phenomenal individuals with the talents needed to transform children's lives, as well as those who are interested in working on the cutting edge of education. If you're excited by the prospect of transformative growth for yourself, as well as the students, schools, and communities we serve, Summit may be the place for you!
Summit Public Schools is a leading charter management organization serving diverse communities in the San Francisco Bay Area and Washington State with currently eleven schools serving over 3,600 students. Summit schools have seen tremendous successes, including:
- 99 percent of Summit students have been accepted to one or more four-year colleges, and its graduates are completing college at double the national average
- Fast Company named Summit Public Schools a top 10 most innovative organization in education
- Our two flagship schools, Summit Prep and Everest, are named among US News & World Report's Best High Schools of 2015, and also ranked among America's Most Challenging High Schools by the Washington Post
- Summit Sierra, in Seattle, was named one of the most innovative schools in the world
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Athletic Director will have the following responsibilities:
- Develop a long term strategic plan for the Summit Rainier and Summit Tahoma athletic program that is values driven and supports school mission of College, Character, and Community.
- Model behaviors and the values of Summit Public Schools.
- Supervision and administration of the athletic program
- Oversee and manage athletic budget of the school, including fundraising efforts
- Recruit coaches for all sports, coordinate orientation meeting with School Directors and manage contract execution and performance.
- Uniform and equipment inventory and plan the end of season awards program.
- Recruit and acts as liaison between parent sports committee and Schools.
- Lead the scheduling for a full season of athletic events at Summit Tahoma and Summit Rainier, including officials and facilities.
- Represents the School at League and CCS Athletic Director meetings.
- Processing, tracking and reporting eligibility, including CCS transfer requests and waivers.
- Ensure that students, coaches, and parents adhere to School, League and CCS philosophy and rules (certification, eligibility, sportsmanship).
- Meet regularly with School Directors to assess the athletic program, identify needs, and develop plans.
- In partnership with School directors and Habits Culture and Community Teachers, communicate about athletics philosophy, access and programs to Summit communities.
- Emphasize the importance and priority of academic success with student athletes.
- Lead and encourage all students to recognize and act upon the importance of physical exercise to their well-being.
- In partnerships with School directors, assesses and advises on opportunities for alternative (non-team, non-competitive) athletic participation (outside organization/ program opportunities).
KEY QUALITIES AND SKILLS:
- Maintain high expectations for all students and believes all students can be successful in college
- Dedication to growth and improvement
- Ability to thrive in a fast‐paced environment
- Enjoys working with high school students
- Comfortable receiving feedback
- Strong communication and writing skills
- Relentless work ethic; Grit and determination
- Highly organized
- Strong communication skills
- Commitment to uphold Summit’s values and belief that all children deserve a rigorous, college‐preparatory education
- A passion for education and physical education/sports
- Meet health clearance, and pass the reference, background/criminal checks, per education code