The Summit Learning Teacher Residency is a one-year program during which you are immersed in Summit classrooms while also completing credentialing coursework leading to a California Single Subject Preliminary Teaching Credential.
How does it work?
The teacher residency program uses a gradual release of responsibility approach, as teacher residents are immersed in Summit Learning school site throughout the Bay Area for four days, working up to independently teaching one class section for the second semester. Residents’ learning experiences and coursework mirror Summit’s personalized learning approach; residents engage in a project-based curriculum that is competency-based, self-directed, and student-centered.
Teacher Residents will learn to:
- Engage students in deeper learning projects where they develop skills, apply content knowledge, and integrate the disciplines in authentic performances tasks,
- Empower students as self-directed learners, helping them develop the habits and skills that lead to academic, professional, and personal success,
- Nurture communities of learners by building meaningful relationships that allow students to grow and thrive, and
- Connect their instructional decisions and students actions to students’ long-term goals and aspirations!
We are looking for Teacher Residents who:
- Believe that all students can be successful
- Are interested in teaching as a profession
- Want to build meaningful relationships with students
- Believe that every student needs a personalized pathway towards the life they want to lead
To be eligible for the teacher residency, you must:
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Pass the Basic Skills Requirement and the Subject Matter Requirement With support, pursue a California Single-Subject Credential in English, History, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, or Spanish
Why join SLTR?
The Summit Learning Teacher Residency offers:
- A comprehensive program that deeply integrates the credentialing coursework with the clinical experience,
- A student teaching placement that is deeply integrated in a Summit Learning school site in the Bay Area, CA for four full day each week for the length of the academic year,
- Learning experiences that allow residents to experience personalized learning themselves as students,
- A California Preliminary Single Subject Teaching Credential in English, History/Social Science, Mathematics, Biology, Physics, Chemistry, or Spanish
- Daily coaching and support from a Cooperating Teacher, and regular coaching and support from a Mentor (a full-time Summit Learning Teacher Residency faculty member),
- The opportunity to experience and collaborate with a diverse cohort of Teacher Residents, and
- Priority hiring for full-time teaching positions at Summit school sites in the year following the residency.