Our world is dramatically different than it was when our public school system was born over 100 years ago. Employers today demand college graduates who are highly skilled at working in teams, thinking critically, solving complex problems, planning and prioritizing work and communicating effectively – in short, graduates with 21st century skills.
Summit has built a Personalized Learning model designed to equip students with these crucial skills. And yet, we know that current teacher credentialing and professional development programs are not adequately preparing teachers for these schools. To support the creation of high-quality Personalized Learning schools across America, we need high-quality Personalized Learning teachers, both at Summit and in schools across the nation.
We also know that to reach their highest potential, our students need teachers with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We must intentionally create pathways that bring more diversity into the teaching profession.
The Summit Learning Teacher Residency will recruit a new generation of diverse teachers and support them in building the skills, mindset, and practice to lead a high-quality personalized learning classroom. It is a one year program during which residents are immersed in Summit classrooms while also completing credentialing coursework leading to a California Single Subject Teaching Credential. We plan to expand the program into additional regions of the country in partnership with the Summit Learning Program in future years.
The Manager of Recruitment for the Summit Learning Teacher Residency is responsible for planning and executing outreach strategies to develop a high-quality and diverse annual applicant pool, and to support the expansion of the program. The ideal candidate is strategic and results-oriented, excels at critical thinking, has exceptional interpersonal and recruiting skills, and a track record of customer service orientation. The candidate must be a highly motivated individual who thrives in an entrepreneurial environment and wants to positively impact the lives of students by improving K-12 public education. Occasional travel required for this position.
Summary of Responsibilities:
The Manager of Recruitment is responsible for designing, planning and executing outreach strategies to develop a high quality, diverse, annual applicant pool, and to support the expansion of the program.
Primary responsibilities include:
Strategy Development and Execution
- Support the growth of the Summit Learning Teacher Residency by developing and implementing a cohesive recruitment strategy to support program growth, both at Summit and at partner schools as the program scales
- As program expands, support SLTR Directors in executing the recruitment strategy across various regions
- Collaborate with Summit’s Talent Team to align recruitment strategies and effort
- Collaborate with Summit’s Talent team to support Summit’s diversity initiatives
Communication and Marketing
- Communicate the uniqueness of the Summit Learning Teacher Residency to the market of prospective teachers and leaders through branding opportunities, including the program’s website, printed materials, social media, public engagements, networking events, conferences, and job fairs
- Form and cultivate relationships with key national and local talent pipelines
- Develop an effective communication strategy with differentiated messaging for various talent pipelines
- Manage and implement ongoing engagement calendar with high-quality pipelines
- Work with cross-functional team to create collateral for external messaging
Data Collection and Analysis
- Utilize data to determine pipelines that produce the most right-fit candidates for our program
- Analyze the effectiveness of varied recruitment-related activities
This position is based in the Bay Area, requires frequent travel throughout the Bay Area, and may require occasional travel to other regions.
Key Qualities and Skills:
- Demonstrate knowledge and support of Summit Public Schools mission, values, and standards
- Belief that every student can and will achieve
- Excellent written and oral communication, planning and organization
- Excellent judgement and strong instincts when it comes to evaluating talent
- Experience creating and executing long-term plans and projects, and using data to drive decisions
- Deep commitment to continuous improvement
- Ability to work effectively within a rapidly iterating, entrepreneurial environment
- Self-starter ready to craft this new role
- Demonstrated ability to work on a team
- Ability to communicate in a persuasive capacity when speaking to candidates
- Strong customer service orientation
- Detail-oriented and self-directed
- 3-5 years of experience in recruitment and/or university admissions
- At least 2 years of exemplary teaching experience or experience in an education-related field preferred
- Previous experience balancing multiple projects against ambitious deadlines