The Director of Human Resources will ensure that Summit Public Schools’ human resources services, policies, and programs meet the needs of our employees and our growing organization. They will manage the Human Resources team, serving the needs of a 500 person organization that is poised to continue growing significantly over the next several years. The ideal candidate is a systems thinker, is results-oriented, excels at critical thinking and has exceptional interpersonal and project management skills.
The Director will serve as a role model in embracing continuous improvement & innovation, and relishing the challenges of finding ways to work smarter and efficiently. S/he will work closely and collaboratively with Summit’s Talent to create exceptional employee experiences and meet organization-wide talent objectives. The candidate must be a highly motivated individual who thrives in an entrepreneurial environment and wants to positively impact the lives of students by improving K-12 public education. They will report directly to the Senior Director of Talent and manage two Human Resources Managers.
Who We Are:
Summit Public Schools is a leading charter management organization serving diverse communities in the San Francisco Bay Area and Washington State with currently 11 schools serving over 3,500 students. Summit’s mission is to ensure that every student has the opportunity to not only attend, but succeed in, a four-year college or university. Through the Summit Learning Program, we have partnered with over 100 public schools in twenty-seven states and the District of Columbia, and are providing over 20,000 students a truly personalized learning experience. Summit’s mission is to ensure that every student has the opportunity to not only attend, but succeed in, a four-year college or university.
Driven by our unwavering commitment to our core values, Summit works every day to ensure our students are receiving a world-class education. Summit seeks phenomenal individuals with the talents needed to transform children's lives, as well as those who are interested in working on the cutting edge of education. If you're excited by the prospect of transformative growth for yourself, as well as the students, schools, and communities we serve, Summit may be the place for you!
- 99 percent of Summit students have been accepted to one or more four-year colleges, and its graduates are completing college at double the national average
- Fast Company named Summit Public Schools a top 10 most innovative organization in education
- Three Summit schools rank among the top 100 Schools in CA by U.S. News & World Report
- The Washington Post named three of Summit schools to its annual “America’s Most Challenging High Schools” list in 2017
- Summit Sierra, in Seattle, was named one of the most innovative schools in the world
In addition to an overall focus on the aims stated above, the Director will also have specific responsibilities in the following areas:
- Lead and oversee all functions of Human Resources including the offer and enrollment process, teacher credentialing, benefits and compensation, employee safety and compliance, and employee engagement
- Manage the Human Resources team, consisting of an HR Generalist and Credentialing Manager, to superior outcomes for employees
- Engage officers, teachers, professionals and school leaders throughout the network to provide exceptional human resource tools, systems and processes
- Lead staff relations and policy execution by working closely with the leaders of all 12 Summit schools and the Executive team
- Lead policies and processes creation for our growing organization, including but not limited to promotions, remote employees, and staff recognition.
- Advise and stay up to date on employment policy changes to ensure organizational practices are in compliance with the law
- Collect and analyze data to inform decisions made on the talent team, including but not limited to diversity data and employee engagement surveys
- Lead a culture of excellence in managing workplace safety and compliance at all levels of the organization
- Provide outstanding executive administration & support to school leaders, and other team leaders, including high quality coaching on personnel leadership & management
- Conduct audits and processing of benefits, pay scales and other related compensation systems
- Manage external vendor relationships with PEO and HRIS
- Head special projects as part of a cross-functional team
This position is based in the Bay Area, requires occasional travel throughout the Bay Area, and may require occasional travel to other regions.
Key Qualities and Skills:
- Demonstrated knowledge of and alignment with Summit Public Schools’ mission, vision and values
- Proven ability as a strong manager of people and team player
- Ability to self-direct and prioritize among competing goals, where necessary, and adapt flexibly in an ambiguous and fast-moving entrepreneurial environment
- In-depth knowledge of federal and state employment law and compliance practices
- Excellent interpersonal & communication skills and a high level of emotional intelligence, with an emphasis on listening skills and the ability to diffuse tense situations
- Customer-service orientation, with a focus on understanding and meeting the needs of employees across the Summit organization
- Initiative, drive and bias towards action
- Ability to analyze & interpret data and develop complex personnel systems that balance multiple factors, including legal regulations, Summit culture & HR best practices
- Well-developed sense of integrity, with capacity to speak directly, hold teammates accountable and stand by unpopular decisions when necessary
- Strong computer skills and ability to use new technology to achieve desired results (proficiency in Google Apps and an HRIS preferred)
- Proven attention to detail, accuracy and timeliness in managing multiple, ongoing systems & processes
- Ability to coordinate and negotiate with outside agencies, such as health providers and insurers
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Master’s Degree in a field connected to Human Resources is also preferred.
- 5+ years prior experience in human resources and employee administration work required.
- Experience leading a team, including managing one or more direct reports required.
- Track record of effective management of HR processes & systems.
- Previous work with entrepreneurial or educational organizations is preferred.
- SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP or PHR/SPHR certification is preferred.
- Alternative Certificate/Diploma in Human Resources Management will be considered.