The Director of Summit Learning Diploma leads the research and development of the Summit Diploma, which codifies the Summit Learning outcomes for students along four dimensions of future readiness: cognitive skills, content knowledge, habits of success, and purpose. The Director is a visionary leader who works across the national Summit Learning network of schools, and across all Summit teams, to stage and lead a multi-year project designed to serve many thousands of young people. The initial work will include managing a small team, initiating pilots on school sites, engaging a guiding coalition, working closely with senior leaders to codify vision and ensure alignment, and building elements of the program--including budget models, data collection processes and products, assessment mechanisms, prototyped platform features, professional development materials, and curricula--rapidly in order to test and iterate. Additionally, the Director will form meaningful partnerships with universities, policy institutes, and workplace readiness leaders to effectively communicate the value of the Summit Diploma. Perhaps most importantly, the Director of Summit Learning Diploma will have a “whatever it takes” approach to leading this project, which is among the two top long-term priorities of Summit Public Schools.
Who we are:
Summit Public Schools is a leading charter management organization serving diverse communities in the San Francisco Bay Area and Washington State with 11 schools serving over 3,000 students. Through the Summit Learning Program, we partnered with over 130 public schools in twenty-seven states and the District of Columbia and are providing over 20,000 students a personalized learning experience in 2016-17. The Summit Learning Program continues to grow rapidly to serve many new communities in 2017-18, while retaining nearly all of our existing school partners.
Summit’s mission is to ensure that every student has the opportunity to not only attend, but to succeed in a four-year college or university. Driven by our unwavering commitment to our core values, Summit works every day to ensure our students are receiving a world-class education. We seek phenomenal individuals with the talents needed to transform children's lives, as well as those who are interested in working on the cutting edge of education. If you're excited by the prospect of transformative growth for yourself, as well as the students, schools, and communities we serve, Summit may be the place for you!
- 99 percent of Summit students have been accepted to one or more four-year colleges, and our graduates are completing college at double the national average.
- Fast Company named Summit Public Schools a top 10 most innovative organization in education
- Our two flagship schools, Summit Prep and Everest, are named among US News & World Report's Best High Schools of 2015, and also ranked among America's Most Challenging High Schools by the Washington Post.
Summary of Responsibilities:
Build the Summit Diploma to be an internationally recognized and valued symbol of university and workplace readiness.
Key Qualities and Skills:
- The fundamental belief that all children can succeed in college and life.
- Deep commitment to continuous improvement.
- A track record of success in leading team(s) to high levels of performance.
- Ability to manage groups through fast-paced iterative design cycles.
- Strong management skills, with the ability to motivate, inspire, develop and collaborate with a diverse group of leaders, teachers, staff members, and community members.
- Expertise in instruction, curriculum, assessments, and data-driven decision making.
- Ability to focus on outcomes and think broadly and precisely about how to adjust structures to meet desired outcomes.
- Proven ability to build and manage relationships with diverse stakeholders, including teachers, school leaders, university and industry leaders, parents, and students.
- Ability to provide honest, actionable and timely feedback that results in improved performance.
- Self starter who takes initiative to solve problems.
- Strong analytic skills.
- Outstanding communication skills.
- Experience leading cross-functional teams responsible for program development and implementation.
- Meet health clearance, and pass the reference, background/criminal checks, per education code.
- Master’s degree in education, educational administration, business administration, or a related field (preferred).
- Experience as a high school teacher or principal, and/or college counselor or admissions officer (preferred).