Summit Public Schools is seeking a passionate and experienced professional to launch a visionary new organizational fundraising strategy. Inspired by our unwavering commitment to our core values, we continue to seek extraordinary individuals with the talents needed to transform children’s lives, as well as those who are interested in working on the cutting edge of education.
As the Director of Development, you will be responsible for crafting and implementing a robust giving program, supporting Summit’s mission to ensure all children have the opportunity to succeed in college, career and life. You will report directly to Summit’s Chief of Staff and will work closely with Summit’s CEO and other members of the Summit Leadership Team.
You are a self-directed individual who loves a challenge and enjoys building strong, meaningful relationships. As a self-starter, you thrive in a fast-paced, hands-on and collaborative work environment. A traditional background in fundraising and development is not required. You have strong relational and negotiating skills and experience in any business or nonprofit sector. You have a desire to positively impact the lives of America’s children through an innovative organization that is partnering with schools all over the country.
If you’re excited by the prospect of transformative growth for yourself, the school leaders and teachers you support and our organization, we hope you will strongly consider joining our team!
This is a full-time position located in Redwood City, California, and will require some travel to our schools throughout the Bay Area and Washington State, as well as some travel to other regions of the country.
- Consult and strategize with organizational leadership to launch an exciting new fundraising strategy.
- Work with high-net-worth individuals to connect their personal passions to Summit's mission, goals and programming.
- Build and manage a portfolio of individual and foundation donors, working with the CEO on all stages of engagement all the way through to partnership.
- Identify and analyze prospective donors who are aligned with Summit Public School’s mission.
- Offer prospect strategy counsel to the CEO to effectively leverage connections - including those of the Board of Directors - for the organization's benefit.
- Create powerful and compelling collateral and experiences to support program efforts, including an annual in-person signature event, school tours, quarterly phone conferences, annual report, and quarterly reports.
- Develop and manage the operational systems required to track and implement a high volume of outreach and engagement as part of the program.
- Provide regular reports on the success and status of fundraising to organizational leaders.
- Bachelor's Degree required.
- 5-7 years of professional experience. Experience in education, development, and/or investor/partner relations is a plus.
- A true passion for our organization’s mission to equip all students with the skills necessary to succeed in college, career, in life.
- Experience writing substantive professional external-facing documents, including grant proposals, grant reports, prospectuses, business plans, annual reports, and/or related materials.
- Experience delivering presentations to and interacting with high-level audiences, such as senior organizational leaders, board members, investors, or prospective clients/partners.
- Experience leading multiple complex and dynamic projects simultaneously across multiple teams within the organization and many external stakeholders.
- Experience leading projects across multiple teams in an organization.
- Experience relating the needs and interests of prospective partners or clients to the needs and interests of the organization.
- Experience creating and analyzing complex budgets and budget reports.
- Experience using data to make decisions, translating strategy to action and achieve ambitious targets.
- Articulate, professional demeanor with strong self-confidence, initiative, and leadership skills.
- Creative, tenacious, and inventive, with an ability to work successfully in a cross-functional environment.
- Experience working in a dynamic environment under tight deadlines, and ability to be flexible.
- Growth mindset, willingness and excitement to build out a new role.
- Ability to maintain and track donor data.
- Proficiency in G Suite (Google Docs, Spreadsheets, etc.), Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint required. Proficiency in database management such as Salesforce preferred.