Summit Public Schools is looking for an Associate Counsel who is a problem-solver, results-oriented, excels at critical thinking and clear writing, and has exceptional interpersonal skills. The candidate must be a highly motivated individual who thrives in an entrepreneurial environment and wants to positively impact the lives of students by improving K-12 public education. You will work directly with the Chief Legal Officer.
Who We Are:
Summit Public Schools is a leading charter management organization serving diverse communities in the San Francisco Bay Area and Washington State with currently 11 schools serving over 3,000 students. Summit’s mission is to ensure that every student has the opportunity to not only attend, but succeed in, a four-year college or university. Through the Summit Learning Program, we have partnered with over 100 public schools in twenty-seven states and the District of Columbia, and are providing over 20,000 students a truly personalized learning experience.
Driven by our unwavering commitment to our core values, Summit works every day to ensure our students are receiving a world-class education. Summit seeks phenomenal individuals with the talents needed to transform children's lives, as well as those who are interested in working on the cutting edge of education. If you're excited by the prospect of transformative growth for yourself, as well as the students, schools, and communities we serve, Summit may be the place for you!
- 99 percent of Summit students have been accepted to one or more four-year colleges, and its graduates are completing college at double the national average
- Fast Company named Summit Public Schools a top 10 most innovative organization in education
- Our two flagship schools, Summit Prep and Everest, were named among US News & World Report's Best High Schools of 2015, and also ranked among America's Most Challenging High Schools by the Washington Post
- Summit Sierra, in Seattle, was named one of the most innovative schools in the world
The Associate Counsel will be the second lawyer in the organization, and will work on a range of issues that impact Summit schools and the Summit Learning Program. This is an opportunity to have a lot of responsibility and immediate impact on a growing organization.
Key Responsibilities will include:
- Provide practical legal and business advice regarding a wide variety of issues
- Manage compliance efforts with respect to federal and state laws and regulations
- Draft, review and negotiate a wide variety of commercial and strategic agreements, including service agreements, consultancies, and vendor agreements
- Participate in the development and implementation of organizational policies and procedures in a wide variety of areas
- Advise on charter-school law and education law generally and its application to our schools
- Provide general nonprofit corporate advice
- Provide training on legal issues and compliance to staff at all levels
More specifically, you can expect to:
Support Our Schools:
- Provide legal advice and guide school leadership on day-to-day student issues including discrimination, behavior and discipline, student safety, incident reports, privacy and more, as well as compliance with applicable local, state, and federal laws
- Review and revise the student handbooks, related policies, and forms
- Oversee implementation of suspension and expulsion policies, and student admissions and lottery policies. Prepare legally appropriate responses to student records requests.
- Manage public records acts requests in CA and WA
Help Grow Summit Learning Program:
- Oversee implementation of commitments to parents and schools around student data privacy, monitor for any needed changes, and ensure compliance with strong privacy practices
- Work with our partners to have best-in-class practices around data use and digital security
- Ensure that our free curriculum complies with copyright law
- Support appropriate marketing efforts to educators
Support Strategic Services and other Central Office Functions:
- Ensure compliance with the Brown Act and Political Reform Act, board meeting legal compliance, conflict of interest law compliance and ongoing compliance with nonprofit laws.
- Partner with our HR team to ensure compliance with employment law and support HR in resolving employee relations matters
- Collaborate with HR to review and revise the Employee Handbook, related policies, and forms
- Provide legal support to finance and data operations teams
Required Skills & Experience:
- A true passion for our organization's mission to empower all students with the skills necessary to succeed in college, career, in life
- Bachelor's Degree and JD required; Member in good standing of a state bar
- 3-5 years experience in either school law, IP or data privacy law, or legal experience representing a technology or Internet company in some capacity
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in cross-functional teams and across diverse stakeholders
- Excellent interpersonal, writing, communication and presentation skills
- Outstanding organizational skills with extraordinary attention to detail
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, managing multiple projects, under tight deadlines
- Ability to analyze statutes and regulations quickly to provide practical advice
- Ability to independently make decisions balancing legal requirements and business/managerial needs, and to efficiently and effectively communicate with non-lawyers
- Ability to present complex and sensitive issues to managers in a concise and effective manner.
- Experience taking on projects involving unfamiliar subject matters.
- Ability to collaborate and build relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders.
- Demonstrates empathy and ability to apply understanding of an audience to deliver desired products and/or services
- Ability to evaluate risk and resolve complex issues in creative and effective ways
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint
This position is based in the Bay Area and requires some travel throughout the Bay Area to all of our schools, and may require occasional travel to other regions.