Summit Public Schools is seeking an experienced Director of Data Operations to support our schools. This role will lie on the Data & Operations Team, part of Summit’s Strategic Services division.
Summit utilizes and maintains many data systems to manage its academic and operational needs, including a new tool to facilitate personalized learning, the Summit Learning Platform, developed in conjunction with Facebook. This role will manage a team of six that oversees a number of these data systems and has ultimate responsibility for ensuring that Data & Operations is delivering world-class data services and support to our 11 Summit schools. This role will work in tight coordination with school leaders, external technology vendors, and other individuals across the organization and is one of the most cross-functional roles within Summit.
Who we are:
Summit Public Schools is a leading charter management organization serving diverse communities in the San Francisco Bay Area and Washington State with currently 11 schools serving over 3,100 students. Summit’s mission is to ensure that every student has the opportunity to not only attend, but succeed in, a four-year college or university. Driven by our unwavering commitment to our core values, Summit works every day to ensure our students are receiving a world-class education. We seek phenomenal individuals with the talents needed to transform children's lives, as well as those who are interested in working on the cutting edge of education. If you're excited by the prospect of transformative growth for yourself, as well as the students, schools, and communities we serve, Summit may be the place for you!
- 99 percent of Summit students have been accepted to one or more four-year colleges, and its graduates are completing college at double the national average
- Fast Company named Summit Public Schools a top 10 most innovative organization in education
- Our two flagship schools, Summit Prep and Everest, are named among US News & World Report's Best High Schools of 2015, and also ranked among America's Most Challenging High Schools by the Washington Post
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Ensure data and systems side of nationally-recognized personalized learning program is seamless for students, teachers, and staff
- Coach and manage a team of 6 managers and specialists who oversee Summit’s data systems
- Manage master schedule process for the organization’s sites, ensuring that underlying academic philosophies and values are reflected in the schedule for each school
- Ensure information systems are functional and easy to access for all relevant stakeholders, including initial setup and ongoing maintenance of each system. This includes account provisioning with Illuminate, SchoolMint, Clever, Khan Academy, Reading Plus, NWEA MAP, and other tools as needed.
- Create reports in Tableau, Illuminate, Excel, and other reporting systems as needed
- Ensure all relevant student data from external sources (MAP, EPAS, state testing, etc.) is maintained in Summit’s systems
- Manage all state, federal, and other required demographic and academic reporting (e.g., CALPADS, SARCs, etc.) for schools, partnering with school-based personnel to ensure our reporting is accurate, reliable, compliant, and on-time
- Support recruitment, enrollment, and lottery processes across the organization
- Assess and recommend data management software solutions as needed. Assist with the evaluation and implementation of systems, technologies, and practices related to data management
- Facilitate professional development opportunities for school leaders and operations managers around information systems and data processes.
- Partner with relevant parts of the organization on special projects to bring the data perspective to organizational developments and facilitate data-driven decision-making
- Keep up-to-speed on trends in the sector and ensure that appropriate tools and technologies are incorporated into the team’s work
Key Qualities and Skills:
- Must be a natural problem solver
- Team player that thrives in collaborative environments
- Excellent managerial and coaching skills
- Expert fluency with Microsoft Excel
- Manages ambiguity and develops forward-moving solutions
- Maintains high standards with a focus on continuous improvement
- Resourceful and active learner
- Excellent interpersonal, writing, communication and presentation skills
- Exceptional project management and organizational skills with strong attention to detail
- Ability to analyze and assess quantitative and qualitative data
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines
- Willingness to learn R, Tableau and other relevant data software
- Knowledge of database structures and systems
- Ability to build and maintain systems that enhance organizational efficiency
- Adaptability—can thrive in a rapidly changing environment, and can learn the skills needed to meet the organization’s needs
Additional Skills Preferred:
- Administration/use of Illuminate Education platform, ideally, or another SIS platform
- Fluency with understanding database structures
- Writing and adapting SQL queries
- Visualizing data with Tableau
- Must have at least a bachelor’s degree (a Master’s Degree in Education or in a qualitative or quantitative research-based field preferred)
- Experience in Education (2+ years’ classroom teaching experience preferred)
- Meet health clearance, and pass the reference, background/criminal checks, per education code.