Summit is searching for part- or full-time Computer Science teachers for our Expeditions team for the 2017-2018 school year. There are two different types of Expeditions roles:
1) Full-time High School Roaming Expeditions courses:
The Summit approach to elective courses - in the form of Expeditions - is unique. Expeditions occurs at each high school site four times throughout the year in two-week intervals. Students take a morning and afternoon course every day for two and a half hours each for a daily, immersive experience in the area of study that they would like to explore or already have passion for. They continue this exploration for each two-week Expeditions interval in a school-year. The Expeditions faculty is the team of teachers who rotate through four school sites for the year, leading two sets of students (morning and afternoon) at each school through this immersive experience for two weeks, and returning to that group four times each year.
2) Full-time Site-based Middle School Expeditions courses:
At our middle school sites in California and Washington, Summit is searching for full-time, site-based middle school Expeditions teachers.
The areas of study, or clusters, which students can explore include Arts, Design & Engineering, Health & Wellness, Media Studies, Technology, Leadership & Social Change, and Business. Over the course of their time at Summit, students have the opportunity to explore passions across these clusters or to craft a pathway of deep study that may lead to an internship or independent study.
The Expeditions team seeks passionate teachers who can design and execute courses in Computer Science.
Using the Framework for 21st Century Learning, the skills, knowledge and expertise that students should master to succeed in work and life in the 21st century in connection with a passion for are:
- Act on creative ideas to make a tangible and useful contribution to the field in which the innovation will occur
- Elaborate, refine, analyze and evaluate their own ideas in order to improve and maximize creative efforts
The role of the Expeditions teacher is to empower students to discover and deepen their passions. We believe that connecting to one’s passion is crucial for success in college and a career. Students can make better choices about “best fit” colleges based on an understanding of the course of study for possible careers. They can begin college with an career goal in mind that is connected to their passion, and can immediately apply their decision-making and self-direction skills to continuously set and achieve goals that are connected to working towards that career. With their own passions and fields of study as expertise, Expeditions teachers execute this vision by doing the following:
- Summit Expeditions teachers design and teach high-quality, challenging, project-based curriculum which guide students towards explorations of potential passions.
- Summit Expeditions teachers facilitate learning experiences which lead students through deep exploration of fields of study connected to potential majors, hobbies and careers.
- Summit Expeditions teachers design and guide students through real-life experiences in the field, through guest speakers, field trips, and other connections to community groups.
At Summit Public Schools, you are joining a community committed to excellence and continual growth. We prioritize developing leaders from within and have invested in multiple career pathway programs for our teachers and school leaders. If you are looking for the opportunity to drive transformative change in a diverse community of learners and contribute to reimagining what schools should be, we encourage you to apply.
- Commitment to uphold Summit’s values and belief that all children deserve a rigorous, college-preparatory education
- A California Teaching Credential (or a commitment to obtain one) is preferred but not required for the Expeditions Teacher role
- At least a Bachelor’s Degree (a Master’s Degree in Education is preferred but not required)
- Experience in and ability to design and execute a course in Computer Science
Key Qualities and Characteristics of a Summit Teacher:
- Maintains high expectations for all students and believes all students can be successful in college
- Facilitate learning experiences, using a variety of methods including: direct instruction, project-based learning, small group tasks, individual student projects, individual and group writing tasks, formative and summative assessment, direct teacher feedback, extended individual students tasks and public performance/presentation
- Collaborates with colleagues to maintain academic integrity of planned lessons and learning experiences for students
- Design and implement social and emotional learning experiences as a recurring part of all courses
- Actively participate and suggest proposals as a member of weekly faculty team meetings
- Track and provide updates on student achievement to faculty, directors and families
- Maintain and reinforce Summit's graduated discipline process
- Ability to learn technology platforms that organize instructional materials and data gathering at Summit