Summit Public Schools: Director of Communications and Marketing
Summit Public Schools is seeking a Director of Communications and Marketing who will be instrumental in defining and telling the Summit story across various channels to reach target audiences. To do so, the Director will drive all marketing and communications initiatives for the Summit Schools team, ultimately supporting Summit’s students, educators, parents, schools and partners. This position calls for a person passionate about ensuring all children have the opportunity to succeed in college, career, and life, with significant communications experience. S/he will report to the Senior Director of Advocacy and Engagement and sit on the Schools Team.
This would be an ideal position for an individual aiming to apply their communications, project management, teamwork, and analytical skills to their passion for serving youth and education. This position requires a team-oriented energetic professional who is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, and with a strong willingness and desire to learn.
Who We Are
Summit Public Schools is a leading charter management organization serving diverse communities in the San Francisco Bay Area and Washington State with currently 11 schools serving over 3,000 students. Through the Summit Learning Program, we have partnered with over 100 public schools in twenty-seven states and the District of Columbia, and are providing over 20,000 students a truly personalized learning experience. Summit’s mission is to ensure that every student has the opportunity to not only attend, but succeed in, a four-year college or university.
Driven by our unwavering commitment to our core values, Summit works every day to ensure our students are receiving a world-class education. We seek phenomenal individuals with the talents needed to transform children's lives, as well as those who are interested in working on the cutting edge of education.
- 99 percent of Summit students have been accepted to one or more four-year colleges, and its graduates are completing college at double the national average
- Fast Company named Summit Public Schools a top 10 most innovative organization in education
- Our two flagship schools, Summit Prep and Everest, are named among US News & World Report's Best High Schools of 2015, and also ranked among America's Most Challenging High Schools by the Washington Post
- Developing and implementing a comprehensive communications strategy designed to expand Summit Public Schools’ voice across a diverse array of internal and external audiences.
- Establishing relationships with local media in order to highlight the work of Summit schools.
- Creating, managing and driving marketing initiatives aimed at recruiting families, and faculty/teachers.
- Serving as a strategic leader in developing awareness and momentum around key Summit programs and initiatives, including creating all organization-wide collateral and materials.
- Writing content that informs and engages Summit’s multiple stakeholders, internal and external.
- Understanding Summit’s educational model and explaining it to people inside and outside the education field.
- Developing, promoting and protecting the integrity of Summit’s brand.
- Ensuring Summit is utilizing the most impactful marketing and communications tactics and channels. This includes consumer research, market analysis, digital advertising, as well as reports and publications, newsletters and case studies, in addition to other print and digital collateral.
- Actively cultivating, engaging and managing strategic partnerships with key stakeholders - both internal and external to Summit - across a variety of industries and fields.
- Managing a Communications Manager to support execution of communications and marketing strategy for both internal and external audiences.
- Working to empower Summit Public Schools parents, educators and faculty to be effective messengers, and ensure they have the ability to communicate about Summit’s mission, values, academic approach, and vision for public education in America.
- Ensuring Summit is using the most effective tools and products to manage a high volume of outreach and engagement, including a website management, CRM system, external distribution list and event registration/tracking systems.
Required Skills & Experience:
- A true passion for our organization's mission to equip all students with the skills necessary to succeed in college, career, in life
- 5-7 years of relevant experience in a marketing and/or communications role. Experience in education or non-profits a plus.
- Bachelor's Degree required
- Excellent interpersonal, writing, communication and presentation skills
- Exceptional project management and organizational skills with good attention to detail
- Media relations experience preferred
- Ability to analyze and assess quantitative and qualitative data and explain the assessment in written reports
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines, and produce high-quality work
- Demonstrates empathy and ability to apply understanding of an audience to deliver desired products and/or services
- Demonstrates flexibility, tenacity, resourcefulness, humility, and a growth mindset
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, as well as experience in website systems.
This position is based in our headquarters in Redwood Shores and requires frequent travel throughout the Bay Area to our schools, and may require occasional travel to other regions.
The Director of Marketing and Communications will report to the Senior Director of Advocacy and Engagement and will join a growing Community team. S/he will work closely with team members, as well as Summit central office teams and Summit school leaders and teachers.