Summit Public Schools is seeking an energetic and exceptionally well-organized Manager of Special Events to help manage our growing calendar of events. Reporting to the Director of Special Events, you will be responsible for the planning and execution of all meetings and events in assigned region(s) across the country. Duties include but are not limited to project management, budget planning, post-event reporting, event communications, managing expectations with key stakeholders and vendors, and oversight of on-site execution. By providing top-notch customer service and facilitating high-quality events, your professionalism and industry experience will play a key role in our efforts to support our growing network of schools in the Summit Basecamp Program.
Who we are:
Summit Public Schools is a leading charter management organization serving diverse communities in the San Francisco Bay Area and Washington State with currently 11 schools serving over 3,000 students. Summit’s mission is to ensure that every student has the opportunity to not only attend, but succeed in, a four-year college or university. Through the Summit Basecamp Program, we have partnered with over 100 public schools in twenty-seven states and the District of Columbia, and are providing over 20,000 students a truly personalized learning experience. Summit’s mission is to ensure that every student has the opportunity to not only attend, but succeed in, a four-year college or university.
Driven by our unwavering commitment to our core values, Summit works every day to ensure our students are receiving a world-class education. Summit seeks phenomenal individuals with the talents needed to transform children's lives, as well as those who are interested in working on the cutting edge of education. If you're excited by the prospect of transformative growth for yourself, as well as the students, schools, and communities we serve, Summit may be the place for you!
- 99 percent of Summit students have been accepted to one or more four-year colleges, and its graduates are completing college at double the national average
- Fast Company named Summit Public Schools a top 10 most innovative organization in education
- Our two flagship schools, Summit Prep and Everest, are named among US News & World Report's Best High Schools of 2015, and also ranked among America's Most Challenging High Schools by the Washington Post
- Summit Sierra, in Seattle, was named one of the most innovative schools in the world
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Manage all operational aspects of meeting development, production, including goals, objectives, and outcomes.
- Provide logistical support for regional meetings as assigned by the Director of Special Events.
- Serve as the liaison to hotels, travel agencies, ground transportation and other related parties for each meeting; negotiate contracts under the supervision of the Director.
- Manage on-site operations and the management of the meeting attendees and travel staff.
- Manage hotel arrangements including rooming list, meeting space, food and beverage and audio/visual equipment.
- Coordinate meeting production and attendee communication schedule with Director and other Event Managers.
- Coordinate and facilitate all attendee communications within assigned region including registration questions, travel arrangements, and hotels.
- Manage invitation and registration process; oversight of travel arrangements including airport transfers.
- Update/maintain attendee database including manual data entry; generate and provide attendee status reporting.
- Coordinate with staff responsible for the program to identify requirements.
- Manage the expenses of all meetings through strict adherence to the meeting budget.
- Facilitate invoice processing to ensure timely payments and manage post-event budget review and reconciliation.
- Contribute to web content for meetings.
- Prepare pre/post event materials and maintain tracking database for effective event planning year-to-year.
- Generate and distribute all other collateral ensuring that materials are professional and appropriately reflect SPL standard.
- Conduct pre/post – event evaluations and report on outcomes.
Key Qualities and Skills:
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ of relevant experience in event production, planning, budgeting and execution is required
- BA degree required
- Exceptional budgeting and vendor management skills
- Experience managing multiple events with overlapping timelines
- Travel to domestic locations to execute meetings (up to 25%)
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Constantly looking for ways to improve processes and efficiency
- Attention to detail, extremely well organized with an ability to prioritize and multitask
- Values customer service with a patient, flexible attitude
- Excellent time management
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced, demanding, start-up environment
- Self-motivated but also follows Instructions
- Proficient with the Google Apps (e.g. Drive, Docs, Sheets, Gmail) preferred
- SalesForces knowledge/experience as, a plus
- Experience with Eventbrite or other registration systems, a plus
- On-site management usually requires long periods of standing, extended work hours and some weekends
- Meet health clearance, and pass the reference, background/criminal checks, per education code.