The Curriculum and Professional Development Manager for Special Education will work as a member of Summit’s Curriculum & Assessment Team, which builds curriculum for Summit Public Schools and partner schools across the country in the Summit Learning Program. The Curriculum and Professional Development Manager will be a visionary and collaborative educator with deep knowledge, skill and expertise in Special Education and personalized, project based curriculum and instruction. The work of this team is at the forefront of curriculum and assessment in the nation and will immediately and meaningfully impact thousands of students and educators. This individual will also collaborate with partners external to Summit in the development of curriculum and assessment.
Who we are:
- Summit Public Schools is a leading charter management organization serving diverse communities in the San Francisco Bay Area and Washington State with currently 11 schools serving over 3,000 students. Through the Summit Learning Program, we have partnered with over 100 public schools in twenty-seven states and the District of Columbia and are providing over 20,000 students a truly personalized learning experience.
- Summit’s mission is to ensure that every student has the opportunity to not only attend, but succeed in, a four-year college or university. Driven by our unwavering commitment to our core values, Summit works every day to ensure our students are receiving a world-class education. We seek phenomenal individuals with the talents needed to transform children's lives, as well as those who are interested in working on the cutting edge of education. If you're excited by the prospect of transformative growth for yourself, as well as the students, schools, and communities we serve, Summit may be the place for you!
- 99 percent of Summit students have been accepted to one or more four-year colleges, and its graduates are completing college at double the national average
- Fast Company named Summit Public Schools a top 10 most innovative organization in education
- Our two flagship schools, Summit Prep and Everest, are named among US News & World Report's Best High Schools of 2015, and also ranked among America's Most Challenging High Schools by the Washington Post
- Summit has a fully Common Core aligned curriculum and has worked with university, technology, and non-profit partners to continually improve. This curriculum is made available for free to our many Summit Learning partners across the nation and, soon, around the world. You can explore the curriculum here, using the demo code qwbhiscx.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Stay abreast of research and trends involving curriculum and assessment, and particularly English and Mathematics education and academic literacy.
- Ensure completion, excellence, and accessibility of Summit’s curricula and assessments (with a focus on a curriculum that can be used effectively with students with diverse abilities) within and beyond Summit.
- Ensure that all ll English, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies and Spanish projects are complete to the highest levels of the Stanford Center for the Assessment, Learning, and Equity (SCALE) Performance Task Quality Rubric with resources and supports for inclusive classrooms
- Train Special Education faculty members in implementing curricula and assessments for their specific learners.
- Serve as a collaborative member of the Schools Team, moving forward with projects involving the research, creation, faculty training, and revision of a world-class competency-based curriculum.
- Support and maintain Special Education partnerships beyond Summit, as appropriate.
- Support the design, development, and continuous improvement of curriculum and assessment creation and iteration protocols that align to core values, under the leadership of the Senior Director of Curriculum and Assessment.
- Develop, design, and conduct professional development for teachers and school leaders.
- Be a positive and knowledgeable representative of Summit Public Schools, the Schools Team, and the Curriculum and Assessment Team in work related to Special Education.
- Coach teachers and school leaders to effectively implement curricular initiatives.
- Learn and implement best practices of assessment, including project based learning and content assessment.
- Regularly conduct appropriate needs assessments with teachers, students, and leaders, and propose solutions to demonstrated needs.
- Serve as a resource for all faculty members concerning academic models, structures, curriculum, and instruction, particularly related to Mathematics .
- Champion relevant Summit initiatives in schools.
- Share best practices in curriculum, assessment, and instruction, particularly in Special Education.
- Report regularly to the Senior Director of Curriculum and Assessment.
Key Qualities and Skills:
- Data analysis: Plans to collect, evaluate, and act upon important information
- Strategic planning: Creates a strategic plan, with the support of the team
- Progress monitoring: Continually tracks progress of programs and implementation to inform leadership actions
- Strategic communication: Proactively communicates with all stakeholders
- Planning learning experiences: Models skills-based, personalized instruction
- Providing honest, actionable, and timely feedback: Seeks feedback to improve practice incorporates feedback to develop, and offers feedback that pushes others towards excellence
- Learning orientation: Driven to improve performance in order to meet high internal standards of excellence
- Initiative: Ready to act and seize opportunities; drives personal growth and takes ownership over work
- Resiliency: Identifies and pursues solutions when faced with setbacks; stays focused on objectives though tactics may require adaptation
- Meet health clearance, and pass the reference, background/criminal checks, per education code.
- Master’s degree in education, curriculum, teaching, or learning design.
- If not located in the San Francisco Bay Area or the Seattle-Tacoma area, ability to travel to multiple sites within both regularly.
- Ability to travel to schools participating in the Summit Learning Program across the country.
- At least two years teaching Mathematics. More experience teaching is preferred.